1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who does not use a rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmodder, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I am wondering how many of you guys have rack mountable equipment that you do not use in a rack.

I am trying to lighten the rig on a strict budget, and am looking for some cosmetically appealing ways to run a "rack rig" without the rack. I used to have the rack, but sold it due to back problems.

Pix and explanations would RULE!

2. djsteiner

djsteiner

Dec 15, 2007
    well it isnt my rig, but my church has all rackmount gear for the PA and none of it is on racks. it doesnt get driven hard and racks are fairly expensive for some reason so we don't use them.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    You can pick up a rack bag. They have the rails and some basic framing, but they're basically soft cases for your rack gear and a LOT lighter than a traditional rack case.

Racks usually don't add that much weight, though. It's gear IN the rack that is causing a weight problem. There's 1kW+ poweramps that clock in under 20lbs now. Take a look around and you'll be surprised at what you might find. I know that Peavey makes an ultralight model, DPC something or other. Stewart has the World series, QSC has the PowerLight series, and Crown has the CDis.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a rackable 1001rb but until I get some more goodies I won't be getting a rack.
    In the keyboard realm, I use a Motif Rack but I actually mount it on my keyboard Ultimate-X stand so I can access it instantly.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used to have a big rack with goodies and got rid of the whole thing for the same reason--my back wouldn't take it. Now I use a light amp head and cabinet or a combo. The key is to do without the goodies like compressor, power conditioner, etc. I can play perfectly fine without them and don't miss them a bit now.

6. Yes, I ditched the whole thing and now have a QSC (21 lbs @ 1200 watts) and a BBE Bmax solid state which has the compressor built in. The QSC is only 14" deep, but I would like to attach the bbe to the QSC and still have the rig look somewhat pro. So... no duct tape.

My last amp was an old Crown Com-tech that I removed the lid, drilled 4 holes, and bolted the gear down, then reinstalled the lid. However, this QSC is much nicer and I really don't want to do that to it.

7. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I don't own any rackmount gear, but I have a guitarist friend who owns a rack tuner and a rack multi-fx processor. He built himself an aluminum box that holds both, and weighs less than 40 pounds, and just sets it on top of his amp. compared to the rack he used to use, which weighed about 150 pounds, this set up works much better for him.

8. Hmm, ok, so maybe I can get some 2" aluminum and mill it down and drill and tap some holes... I so just had an idea! Tuesday, I am going to go see what is laying around the machine shop:hyper::hyper::hyper:

9. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm in the same boat...I ended up ditching the rack and the whole pre/power setup just recently and bought a 2x10 combo. The heavy rig sounds the best and sits nicely in my home practice space. The portable rig now goes with me whenever moving is involved, the time savings justified the investment of a second rig for me and this time i didn't go crazy overboard.

10. I home brewed a little 12 to take anywhere. It likes to boom though.

I am paranoid to add any extra weight to this rig because so far I am up to 28 lbs for a 1200 watt rig. I just need some ingenious way of hooking the pre and power together... I am thinking rack rails.. but they aint worth no 20 bucks for a 4 space.

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I use a 4 space Gator rack bag and it works quite well. They also make a 2 and a 3 space version.

gearpics08-02-15014.

12. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    I have a friend who bought a large back pack from REI (Not a Full HUGE one, but its fairly large), and its got a hard back, then he sticks a piece of thick plywood in a pocket and keeps his gear between those two things. It's a pretty good idea, as long as you can take the backpack being larger than a normal one.

13. Beavinator

Beavinator

Dec 22, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Hey crabby...how long have you been folding the front flap under the rack?? I just bougth a three-spacer, and was wondering if you can do any damage by constantly folding the flap underneath the heavy equipment...any thoughtS??

14. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i do both, and i have two combos

15. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    i have an SWR workingman's 300 that is rack mountable, but i just stuck some 'male' velcro to the bottom of it, it sticks to my cabinet's carpet quite well. on top of the amp, i stick a presonus blue max compressor (which is like a 1/2 rack unit) also with velcro, keeps it in place perfectly.

16. I might check into the rack bags too as well as the velcro idea (Done velcro- works well!) Time to fire up google.

I put on the little rubber feet the QSC came with and it seems to hold it there pretty well, I may try that industrial velcro too!

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The solution is buy an integrated head that has all the features you want designed into it.

For me that would be the carvin bx1200 and the LMII.

I velcro a Korg GA20 to the top of the amp(s) and have a mute switch on my patch cable. I use a briefcase to store my LMII.

This is with my older tuner.
    lmbriefcase1.

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I've had this setup for a few months and the rack shows no sign of being damaged by folding the flap back. Its quite well made and seems like it will hold up. I loke the fact that its easy on the interior of my car when being loaded in and out.

It only cost $89 Canadian so its a pretty good deal. The Gator soft racks are completely lined inside so I was able to put some velcro on the bottom of a power strip and just stick it inside the back. No modifications or even velcro needed to be stuck to the inside of the rack as the velcro on the power strip sticks really well to the cloth liner.

19. I scrounged a set of rack rails that I had laying around I think I may just screw them together like that and put some Velcro between them to prevent rattling.
    Think that would work?