1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who has modified their Geddy Lee Jazzes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Delberthot, Nov 1, 2006.

1. I've just take delivery of a shiney new Geddy jazz and as always, I like to have a look at what other people have done to theirs.

And over to you...

2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Lots of people have swapped pickups out. Several have replaced the BAII bridge with a vintage style. Pickguards, hipshots tuners, hipshot D-tuners, vintage covers.

It's all here, just search for geddy lee basses, there are a ton of threads.

3. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    Who has modded their Geddy's?

The answer: Everybody

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    :bag:

[​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]

2 * DS + AudereJZ3 = :bassist:

5. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    myjazz1.gif

Knobs and guard.

6. That must sound immence.

Ps
    this is my 400th post!!!
    :)

7. Wow.

lowsound

8. Okay, I'll be more specific -

I bought the geddy for the same price as a regular MIM model, not necessarily for the artist in question. I am a Rickenbacker fan and a fan of Geddy and Chris Squire's playing but that's a coincidence.

I like to tinker with my basses and have seen a few aftermarket things that could be changed such as a black scratchplate, possibly a black control plate and so on but would like to see what other TB members have done to theirs for a bit of inspiration (or to copy really) before I do things to mine.

9. Could you tell us about this mod a little more? As far as how intensive it was to have done and what the tones are that you get out of it?

That is too cool.....

Thanks!

10. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I must be doing something wrong. Mine is still stock unless you count changing strings. :)

11. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    No mods on mine either...although that cool orange/black pickguard gives me an idea or two...

12. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Custom shop PUs, new pots and such. Thinking about a oly white refin.

13. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    Mine has a drop d tuner, audere pre-amp and a pearloid pickgaurd.

S

14. I am looking at changing stuff like the colour of the pickguard or getting a black control plate or removing the guard completely as the routing has been done properly.

15. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    On my GL I installed Nordstrand NJ4's and replaced the neck and tuners. I'm one of the few that didn't like the GL neck.

16. I remember the story about the guy who was proud of having the same bass since 1974 - it had only had 3 new bodies and 2 new necks. completely original. ho ho ho.

17. bassness

bassness

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago area
  18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I haven't done the work yet, but I have Nordie NJ4SVs, new pots (with switching for series/parallel) and a nice black pearl pickguard all waiting for me to swap on mine. :)

19. slowburnaz: I have the intention of putting darkstars in my jazz as well, but I saw over at the dudepit that the darkstars doesn't quite cover the original jazz holes. How did you tackle that since I can't see any holes around the pickups?

20. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    I'll be interested in how many folks changed the pickups but liked the originals better, or how many just liked the originals enough not to mod theirs.

Mine has been modded to include Dimarzio Model J's, a black pickguard (after seeing all those on TB who've done the same), series/parallel (i.e., new pots and wiring), chrome knobs, and Hipshot tuners.

I love the aesthetics of the black pg and the chrome knobs. The original tuners were serviceable but there is a discernable improvement with the Hipshots. Also, I like the slightly-more-brushed-silver look to the new Hipshots than I did the chrome finish on the previous tuners -- there was a slight ripple effect in the originals. I prefer the aesthetics of silver pole pieces on the pickups over the black of the Dimarzios, but that's relatively a nit.

The original pickups certainly hummed as one would expect from single coils, and when I played the bass solo I found the tone to be thin and blah. I actually found it easier to get the bass to sit in the mix better with the old pickups than with the new. But the jury's out -- Despite many months I've not invested much time trying to dial in the tone I want with the Dimarzios. It just wasn't what I expected.

HooBass