Who here ever tried Delano pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Human Bass, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I see a lot of people curious about them but nobody who actually tried any Delano pup..:confused: .
  2. Maldoror

Oct 8, 2005
    Good question. I have also been searching for information regarding Delano pickups. I've come up empty-handed, for the most part -- all I found was a coule of reviews in German. :meh:

If anybody has any information/experiences they would like to share, I would love to hear 'em.
  3. they aren't sold in america are they? all their dealers are in europe, i dont think theres anyway to get em over here

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You can find the Delano pickups,featured in most of the Bee basses made by Fred Bolton(of Bee basses).he told me recently that he might start offering only Delano pickups in his basses.I have played my share of Freds Basses that had Delan pickups and they all seem to sound very well and balanced.

5. Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Some people in the italian bass forum has tried them and founded them quite good...

I suspect to have one in a Clover Expression MM type bass... it is a good PU, the bass has nothing to be desired tone wise...

6. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I find only german reviews too...And I cant undestand almost nothing in german:eyebrow:
  7. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I went looking for dealers after the MM/Jazz pickup was posted, and came up empty handed. Too bad, because I found a price list and, while they are not cheap, they're not horrendously expensive either.
  8. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I used to have a Clover Bass-Tard bass (5 string, graphite neck, with the JJ/J Delano pickups)...

They sounded really good, IMO. When the J was soloed, though, the overall output did decrease noticably. You might ask Geshel about it, too, as he bought it from me a while back.

It looked like this one, but it was a kind of orange color, and had the JJ / J config... Geshel, if you read this, what ever happened to that bass?
  9. Maldoror

Oct 8, 2005
    I just ordered a set of their JMVC4 FE/M2 pickups... When they arrive, I'll post a review. Needless to say, I'm eagerly looking forward to their arrival.
  10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Yuppieeee :hyper:
  11. Maldoror

Oct 8, 2005
    Installed the pickups a few hours ago. Although I haven't had very much time to play around with them, I'm already extremely impressed, as they seem to be among the clearest, most articulate and responsive pickups I've ever used. I'll write a full review soon...
  12. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Did you ever do that review?

Still have these pickups?
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm also very interested in these pickups still, especially the dual coils.
  14. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    For what it's worth, almost all Sandberg basses (also German, I believe) have Delano p'ups as standard. So, if you see anyone using one, it should give you a taste of Delanos wares.

Actually, I'm looking for a replacement p'up for my Ray and they make 7 different drop-in replacement models (tempting)! :)
  15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I really dig my MC7-FE in my Bee. I've got a fretless 6 Bee ordered. Reinhard is going to make a MC6-AL/V4 with 4 leads for it. I want the vintage MM Stingray B00 era tone but also want the ability to switch it from parallel/series/single coil.

I cannot wait!

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    They are fantastic! I do not own a bass with them BUT I do have pals that use them. They are a cross twixt Barts and EMGs. Also their Fender and MM jobbies are dandy as well. You can't go wrong. I have a 4 string MM pickup that's never been used if anyone wants it. Send me a PM. By the way, I'm the one who gave Fred Bolton the samples to try, needless to say he was quite taken with them and they do custom orders as well. Love to all!
  17. xparis001

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    I just bought the hybrid system. it was a drop in replacement for my lakland 55-94. I have before recordings, and will be doing after recordings once they're all wired up. it will answer a few questions people have:

a. what do the delano pickups sound like
    b. what do basslines sound like.

should be fun. hopefully this weekend...

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    xparis: cool group you play with! Hopefully I'll see you guys around Beantown.
  19. i tried a sandberg a few weeks ago (seafoam green P style with P MM config) i would have made a home for it but i had just bought a paisley P 3 days before.

sound wise they were great punchy yet articulate enough to pick up subtle changes in finger pressure and stuff, the MM was a little dry but that was prob me not really fiddling with the circuit but combined the tone was great very clean and clear.

as i said it was nearly coming home with me but the paisley P love was still in my veins (still is now hehe). i would buy delano if i were to upgrade any of my basses (just recently done jaguar so thats a long way off) and recommend them....but as always your ear is the judge try a bass with them 1st

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    I just wired a 'vintage' PC4AL P-bass Delano in my 70's reissue P last week that I bought from Fred at Beebasses.

The craftmanship of pickup is very good and I was impressed by the amount of sound that came through my headphones after first pluggin it in. Very clear punchy low-end when comparing it to the reiisue Fender pickup which tends to distort a little in the lows. It's somewhat brighter or more open in the mids and high but with added growl or bite to it and did I mention punch? Man, I haven't opened it up on a loud tube amp yet but it's going to destroy while regaining the vintage P-vibe. More output definitely but also more articulation at the same time...I think someone mentioned clear punchy ghost notes at some point and I totally agree...

With the tone rolled off the pickup delivers a very warm, articulate low end. I'm planning on buying another when I get my alder/rosewood P. Also, the pickup housing has the Delano ingraving but its left black and not filled with white adding to the vintage vibe.

Highly recommended!