Who is using a single ltw 15 cab for classic rock gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drang22, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Drang22

Drang22 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    I recently joined a classic rock cover band, and am wondering if a single 15 lightweight cab will be sufficient for gigs with minimal FOH support. I play a fender jazz in passive mode generally. Band has two fairly loud guitarists and drummer. Right now I have an Amp PF 500 into a single PF115HE, and am thinking of upgrading. I haven't yet tried this setup at a gig yet with this band.

If you've gigged with this type of scenario, what are you using (cab and head), and would you recommend it? If you've added a second cab, please elaborate on what you used and how it benefited or detracted. No offense, but I'm looking for gig experiences, not at-home practice.

I realize these kinds of questions come up fairly frequently in TB, but I've done a lot of searching and haven't found just what I'm looking for. Thanks all you groovy bass folks!

2. I'd either get another PF115HE so you have a 215 stack or get a single 15 that can handle what you're asking... as I doubt one PF115HE will.
    I use a Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115, which will handle more than the PF115HE that I had previously... but a single 15 will still have its limits.

smogg likes this.
  3. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

I previously gigged an Ampeg PF115LF with a SVT-7 Pro, and I had some difficulty keeping up on larger gigs. I ended up buying a second PF115LF and was extremely happy with the stack. Even though the LF claims to be more geared toward low end than the HE, I found it very mid/hi focused, which I actually loved...it just didnt quite deliver the thump, but the 2 of them was plenty. I have owned a slew of 15 cabs over the years and feel like the trend of building smaller/lighter cabs has really cut back on the big 15" low end bloom/boom I was accustomed to hearing. Of course there are exceptions to this, but generally speaking. I have an LDS 215 cab with Eminence Neos in it, and it is fantastic but honestly it doesn't have as much low end as my Hartke VX215 cab...which is a much "cheaper" cab, but it doesn't sound nearly as clear and has much less mids and highs than the LDS with the 3015s in it. I also have an old Genz Benz single 15 cab that has huge low end, but is bigger and heavier. Thats my 2 cents...LOL 8feee6f8-72f3-4a35-a9a7-062df94d128b_zps96444d3b.jpg

4. Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    I guess what I'm really asking, is there a single lightweight 15 cab that could handle this, or is that asking too much? Thinking about "higher end" cabs, such as Mesa, Aguilar, Revsound, etc... that may have higher end components and design.

jeff7bass likes this.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I needed 2x12 in a rock band with one loud guitar and one quiet guitar. These are both fairly efficient cabs.

I know I needed it because a couple of times I forgot to plug in the second cab and could hear the single cab distorting.

In a quiet country band I easily got away with 1x12.

6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’m more experienced with 12s and 210s these days; but I’ll be real surprised if there’s a single 115 that can carry the whole room every time.

it’s the “minimal FOH” that’s the real bugaboo here. If you could count on the PA, sure. You could probably get away with a 12. But why not just get the second cab and be sure you have enough? I brought too-little one too many times, I don't bring too-little any more ;)

Al Kraft, bobyoung53 and smogg like this.
  7. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Maybe give a shout out to the Mesa Subway club and the Revsound club, Im sure they will be happy to advise.
    I don't like having to carry a cab, so thats why I moved away from 2 single 15"cabs and just went to 2x15 cabs, or a 2x12..I have a GK 212 cab as well, and all my cabs have kick-back casters and tug bars. I'm sure there's a Mega15 of some kind out there though.

kbass_78 likes this.
  8. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    The PN115HLF can handle way more power than the PF115HE. You should look at that for a single 15” cab.

F09B00E7-D5DB-4CB9-A89B-06AA9BE417A8.jpeg

rodl2005, jeff7bass, Brich and 2 others like this.
  9. Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Yup, we've got a gig next weekend, my first with this band. Not gonna let that happen.

MCF and CallMeAl like this.
  10. Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Nice looking rig! Have you used it successfully in a loud rock setting?

11. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I ran a 1x15 combo for a while only for rehearsals in my classic rock band. Did ok there but I needed more for gigs.

As far as a single smaller cabinet solution for gigs I would have to recommend the Phil Jones Compact 8. I know it’s not a 15 but it’s smaller and louder than any 15 I’ve played.

12. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have not, but it gets incredibly loud while maintaining a great sound...unlike the PF115HE that can fart out pretty quick. Even with 2 PF115HE cab, which I did own recently, they lacked the low end power that this single cab can provide. The 7PRO pushes 600w (8 ohms) and I don’t think I’ll ever need more power/volume.

johnnynitro and Thundar like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If you have a decent house line at a gig you could always leave a cab behind. Never hurts to have a second cab for the times you need it.
    My mantra (really it's an axiom), it's better to be too loud and be have to turn down than be too low and unable to turn up. Some rooms eat bass and some rooms eat guitars. I guess I'm thinking a lot about Blondie today, sorry for that. But be prepared.

Frankie Fender and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. It depends on the venue tolerance for volume and guitarist compliance.

Two loud stacks of guitar is way too loud most of the time. You could add 810 of bass and still be buried in caterwailing except for a low rumble.

Back in the day we had one 50w 412 Marshall stack more or less under control and the other guitar mic'd from a small combo. My Trace 15 kept up but only just. We were too loud for the pub venues.

obimark likes this.
  15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Over the last 3 years my wife’s band played A number of indoor and outdoor gigs using just our Mesa Subway 115, D800+ and later WD800. Minimal PA. Sounded killer even from 50 feet away and surprisingly deep. But there are limits.

16. I played plenty of gigs with a 250 watts combo. No PA support on indoors and PA supported in open stages.

rllefebv likes this.
  17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    For the most part a single 15" or single driver is what it is. The maximum volume you can get or sound pressure level is limited to where the driver distorts.

But yes there is a fine line to where some Neos will actually take a little more power. So max SPL is a little higher.

The advice to add another 15" is always a very good solution. That guarantees alot more SPL. Either with similar drivers you have now, or drivers that do a little more.
    Eventually there is a threshold.

But I'm pretty familiar with the Eminence drivers you have. Distortion below 100 hz is around 150 to 180 watts.

Something like a Eminence Kappalite 3015 will do about 230 to 280 watts. So the potential to reach slightly higher SPL is there.
    Plus there is numerous other Neos capable of reaching similar levels.
    Eventually there is tradeoff. Actually even higher powered Neos out there. But the high-end starts to drop of dramatically.

Anyhoo mesa has a special design speakers based on the Eminence Neos so the max SPL will be higher. Power handling is higher

Or you can change the driver yourself in the Cabs you have now to reach same Max SPL.

Or just add another cabinet.
    Even with drivers with a higher threshold. Guys still eventually double up.

Far as live at shows usually front of house support, covers the higher SPL. You just need enough stage volume. Even then some clubs do or don't have ability to add more of your mix or bass in stage monitors so you don't necessarily need a big rig. If you rig wasn't enough they will give you more stage monitor. But smaller clubs might not have monitors that handle bass. Small bar gigs with just a vocal pa. Yeah your gonna want a 2x15

bobyoung53 likes this.
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    If your going to have powerful stage monitors with your bass signal being processed through them you should be fine.
    My experience has been you need to drive the band with the drummer and need to feel that power on stage. If you don’t have powerful monitors I would say the 1x15 will not work well. If you were playing in a quiet band .. yes. But in a rock band. No.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I was not a 15 cab player, ever. But several years ago I picked up a cab by Audiokinesis model TC15w new. Its an amazing 1-15 but a large waiting list. Not sure the waiting time currently. I have seen them at times on the used market.

Joebone and TomB like this.
  20. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Bag End.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021