1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is your Favorite Slap Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gcbake, May 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Hey Moe!

2. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Don't have one.
    When a bass player starts slapping I immediately turn him off. Cannot tolerate that ugly noise. Sure interrupts bass review videos no end.

3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Of the most well known slap players, my favs are Miller, Wooten, and Claypool.

Of lesser known players one doesn't immediately think of as slap players Ryan Martinie and Nick Schendzielos are my favs.

Element Zero and son_of_mogh like this.
  4. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    None, its a repulsive sound that is not bass and would never have inspired playing bass guitar.
    Not trying to be negative, just trying to convey that not every bass player likes this style.

5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    This video was created by a TalkBass member whose screen name I can't remember at the moment (sorry!) (I believe he's in Ireland, IIRC). I'm going to post it here because it deserves to be seen by more people. It's not speed-demon slap, it's just tasteful slap.

Last edited: May 6, 2021 at 3:14 PM
  6. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    “Not trying to be negative” yet “it’s a repulsive sound that is not bass”...

Dude I don’t think you could be MORE negative. How is it “not bass”?

Clark Dark and BlueTalon like this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Wyzard

Clark Dark likes this.
  8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Am I the onyl one here to whom this sounds like computer game 'music'?

Last edited: May 7, 2021 at 10:29 AM
  9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth

There you are :cool:

son_of_mogh and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    That may not be Bootsy....that might be Cordell Mosson (it sounds like Boogie playing through Bootsy's rig lol)

I never said he didnt slap, i just said he didnt slap that much lol...you prolly had to dig a little to find this....slap was never Bootsy's forte compared to folks listed in this thread...........'Rag Popping' is another song he does slap on and theres a few others here and there but compared to his body of work, Bootsy didnt really thump a lot

Last edited: May 7, 2021 at 11:01 AM
  11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I know you didn't. It's just that on cuts like Undisco Kidd and Cholly (Funk Getting Ready To Roll) Bootsy was in the studio cutting while Boogie played it live. They had good synergy. The envelope follower and other effects were used more by Collins than Mosson.

Last edited: May 7, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  12. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I’m going to guess that slap has inspired a great many people to pick up electric bass - possibly more so than regular old finger plucking has.

Clark Dark likes this.
  13. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I wouldn't bet my favourite bass on that...............

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021