1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is your Favorite Slap Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gcbake, May 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM.

1. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    Not to strike an argumentative tone, because I understand your point, but I have to disagree with this sentiment. I think the point here is that the dude appreciates that guy’s slap style and tone as much as or more than other “better” slappers.

I know for a fact that my favorite anything is not that which I deem to be “best” or “fanciest”, and that pretty much applies to all of tastes, not just bassists. There is a weird type of stereotyping that happens with slap bass. People seem to see simpler lines as uninteresting, yet the super technical stuff is seen as nonmusical wanking.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  2. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Jimbo Wallace, plays for Reverend Horton Heat... images.jpeg

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX

Clark Dark likes this.
  4. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Danyel Morgan’s work on Robert Randolph and the Family Band “Live From the Wetlands” is pretty stellar to me.

Swamp_Ronin likes this.
  5. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I really can’t say that I have one…. Uh. Larry Graham?

6. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    I forgot to add my pick. This is difficult! I really like all the R&B guys who use it for accents over their finger stuff. I am also partial to earlier Claypool for the sheer creativity, but I do find him more impressive as a singer and songwriter.

7. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Davie 504

Clark Dark likes this.
  8. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Wooten, Claypool, Kai Eckhardt..

9. Pops Popwell comes to mind - he was on some of the crusaders stuff when Wilton decided to pass on playing bass

Clark Dark and Ks68jazz like this.
  10. Everyone on youtube who's way better at slap than I am. Back in the 90s I was considered able to slap. Now... I'm not even worthy of saying I can slap, compared to the genius slap stuff people work out all the time now.

I fully admit that it impresses me like crazy. The timing and rhythm and practice required to do it as well as these people do it is something I really admire.

And I think ti's cool to listen to.

There, I said it. I'm a slap junky.

11. Probably Wojtek Pilichowski. Not everybody's favourite, but certainly one of mine!

Clark Dark and BlueTalon like this.
  12. Marcus Miller
    Doug Johns
    Doug Wimbish
    Ryan Martinie

Clark Dark and socialleper like this.
  13. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Very hard to answer because there's a lot of great players, most of them are already mentioned. But if I had to pick, it'd be Alain Caron, Mark King, or Victor Wooten in no specific order.

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Joshua likes this.
  15. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    :beer:
    We can hang.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  16. Agent P

Agent P

Apr 3, 2015
    USA
    In terms of live feel and sound = BrownMark. His approach directly influenced the way I play rumble/thumb/pop bass today:

Clark Dark likes this.
  17. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Marcus Miller!

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'll second Larry, but......I have to throw in (with an asterisk) John Entwistle. Larry was the guy who pretty much developed slap to what we know it as today, but John definitely started things with his style of flailing and bouncing strings off of the frets with reckless abandon. Everyone builds on what went before. John got us halfway there, Larry got us pretty much there, and numerous others did some finishing touches.

19. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Probably Marcus Miller, he's one of the few for whom slap sounds musical to me.

Swamp_Ronin likes this.
  20. Moses Harry Horwitz.:cigar:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021