1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Who makes a passive Ceramic 5 String PJ set? (Hot output)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TonyP-, May 3, 2020.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Who makes a passive Ceramic 5 String PJ set? (Hot output)

Think Dimarzio model 1 BUT for a 5 string.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    funkinbottom and TonyP- like this.
  4. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Thank You,
    I thought about them.
    Barts can be really nice, BUT they have low output.

I putting pickups in this bass
    98719212-B9F7-4E52-96DB-4497CB9E1776.jpeg

I need something with very hot signal. (It’s for changing between Basses in a set)
    I had one other older solid body PJ Lull before and there is no room for a pre amp and unless you go nuts in the back.
    So my thought was to stay passive BUT something with a mass amount of output.
    If I did go with a Pre this puppy wound be getting Nordstrand’s in a New York second.

I’m thinking Seymour Duncan 1/4” pounders.

I wish there was a pickup builder that made hot output ceramic 5 String PJ sets.

On truly passive imstruments I prefer ceramic pickups. Just everyone is on this vintage kick lol.

If Dimarzio made the Model 1 in 5 string especially with that dirty cream color I would all over it.

Helix likes this.
  5. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
  6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    You are quite welcome.

Easy... install one of these tiny things (the dual channel version, AGDB) and your pickups will be as hot as you like, with flat frequency response:

Adjustable Gain Buffer – AGB & AGDB

Don't worry, I'm not a Bartolini fanboi. :D Those just happened to be products I thought met your requirements.

Edit: So yes, with the AGDB buffer, the instrument would no longer be truly passive. But it would have only a buffer, not a preamp.

TonyP- likes this.
  7. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Not yet, but my next build will use a pair of the Js.

I’m assuming you mean Model P and Model J, and not actually Model 1, as that is a completely different pickup.... ?

TonyP- likes this.
  8. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    That is correct model P & J
    I actually love those pickups...

For single coils my fav is Big Singles But I have that covered in spades.

Thank You for the help.

ctmullins likes this.
  9. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    One other thought: if your goal is simply higher output, you may be able to tuck a booster into the bass; something like the PA2.

TonyP- likes this.
  10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think you might be thinking of a Model P and/or J. Just for clear communication and future reference, this is a Model 1:

upload_2020-5-3_23-37-15.png

TonyP- and ctmullins like this.
  11. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Hi I actually love that for the 1 EMG loaded bass I have left. (I had a couple ESP AP-5s for overseas travel) I still have one and get them with no switch and just the trim. They work great BUT its connected to a battery.

I just looked at the PDF online and I believe I need a 9 volt.

I went through this exact situation of adding a preamp to an older Lull PJ was set up to be passive. Well the routing is done well, which means no room under there lol.

This is a great little thing if a passive tone knob is all you need but need more umph (But space is still needed).

So far I’m intrigued on the Delanos :thumbsup:

ctmullins likes this.
  12. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Yep got it...I will admit I’m no Dimarzio exspert.
    I just really dig the Model P and J for 4 string Basses.
    Nordstrand’s I can talk about lol ;)

Slater likes this.
  13. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    That is a lot like the EMG and I’m sure it is great.
    It just takes a battery though :oops:

I have one (very goofy) bass That has 2 Model Ps in it. It’s purly a novelty instrument I picked up because I always like the shape and it’s output is pretty comparable to Big Singles wired in series with a Bart pre. No joke

FC6D9B96-A7CE-4218-B087-0345DB9D1CC9.jpeg

ctmullins likes this.
  14. David McIntire

David McIntire

Apr 5, 2020
    Earth
    Bartolini P Bass pickups are not low output. The Pedulla MVP and Buzz basses are very, very strong. And that's not JUST because of the preamp. I played a lower level Yamaha Billy Sheehan
    signature Attitude. PJ, 3 way switch. But none of the features of the pro models. This bass had a Bart P pickup installed, with the stock J. That bass was all kinds of powerful. Passive. Turned a 300 dollar bass into a 3000 dollar bass. No joke. That sound is one I will never forget. I went back to buy the bass next day. It was gone. I don't know which Bart P it was. Me and a buddy just picked it up randomly at a store. And were amazed. Maybe call Bartolini. They'll work with you.

Skip Chucker likes this.
  15. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I have to be honest Dave, I have not had the same exsperiance.

I was a modulus endorser years ago and several Basses with Bart’s. The passive VJs for instance sounded good but very low output.

I an personally attest to that because I had 3 of them.

We also played around with some active passive switching (not standard) on a Q5 with dual coil soapbars and that was on the mellow side as well.

Its around that time that led me to Nordstrand which have more output in general than Bart’s (based on my own experience) and Nordstrands not done in series will still not have enough output for what I’m looking for.

Granted I have tried everything of course...Lol BUT I have only found 2 passive pickups that have the same output as Big Singles wired in series and still using a Pre.

-Dimarzio (Model P and J are just shy of it and perfectly acceptable, but it’s only for 4 strings)

-Lull T Bird humbuckers (same ballpark, but they are big humbuckers)

I’m measuring the gain reduction on my compressor, I can see what coming in, between that and a DB meter.

Cheers

David McIntire likes this.
  16. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Ahh, I see you are the lucky new owner! That's the best deal I've ever seen on a Lull - big congrats, my brother! I know they have a special value for you.

I was a little too late discovering that one in the classifieds but I don't think it could have gone to a better home. I found this gem instead so I'll be very happy to receive it later this week: :hyper:

[​IMG]

TonyP- likes this.
  17. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Thank You Bro,
    BTW that bass is crazy cool.
    Love the pickup choice.

To be honest I don’t need that new PJ at all, the opportunity slipped to me.

I could not turn it down.

Is that a 34 or 35?

skyline_01 likes this.
  18. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Thank you! I am thrilled I was able to grab it - right deal, right time. As I understand the 21 fret Alien Audio basses are 34" and the 22 fret are 35", so this would be a 35". First 35" I've owned since a Lakland 55-01 I sold about 8 years ago.

I'm loving that it has a Big Split neck/dual coil bridge setup. I could even have the dual coil wired for S/SC/parallel later on for more tonal flexibility. Combined with the Mo West preamp (secret sauce) it would be unstoppable LOL.

Let us know what pickups you choose for that Lull!

TonyP- likes this.
  19. Why do you consider that a purely novelty instrument? It's a copy of, if not an authentic, BC Rich... a very very classic model of BC Rich as used by some of the greatest funk bassists in history. The Double P is one of my favorite pickup configurations ever.

I'd LOVE that bass.....

20. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Its a real BC Rich (A cheap one) and its a super long story that is probably not that interesting to anyone. Lets just say it involves Juan Alderete, a goofy kid that always liked that shape and a fund raiser. :thumbsup:

ctmullins likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021