1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who makes the best pickups for bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by talita mathews, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. talita mathews

talita mathews

Feb 11, 2018
    I just bought a bass guitar that has EMG active pickups on it which i am going to remove as i do not like active pickups...I was thinking of replacing them with Seymour Duncan passive pickups but a bass player friend of mine said EMGs are better...open for discussion and if anyone can recommend a brand that works for them, thats great too...the bass is a 2016 remake of the Hamer B4M...tx

Pbassmanca, spaz21387 and Pendulous like this.
  2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    That's sort of like coming here and asking what the best bass is, really. I am pretty biased here, so I won't answer this, but you might want to explain what you don't like about the active pickups and what you are hoping to gain with a pickup swap- and you can never be too specific.

3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    There is no “best” pickup. It’s all in what you’re looking for. My current favorites are Aguilar’s and Fender Custom Shops. But, they aren’t “the best.”

Frenchy-Lefty, gebass6, GregC and 7 others like this.
  4. I didn’t think I would like EMG with active preamps but after getting my 1st so equipped with every intention of switching to something passive, I now have one jazz and 3 pjs with EMG active systems and love them. FWIW.

5. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    IMG_0453.JPG

Rapisme, design, GregC and 60 others like this.
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

404A0F7C-A061-4A29-A37C-4B09374EB143.

7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    there,s this dude named Jim. man can he make a pickup.

MYLOWFREQ and kesslari like this.
  8. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Depends what kind of sound you're going for .

TonyP- likes this.
  9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Lace Alumitone.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Ah, yes. Dune. Where the world first learned of Sting’s reverse left butt cheek...
    36636BDA-AF28-4567-9505-1B33C89DA3CD.

11. Nah, they flipped the negative, it's his RIGHT cheek. He turned the OTHER one, after Stewart Copeland once and for all told him he was going to open up the can of wh*****s right now.

Artman and rufus.K like this.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Loring and pudge like this.
  13. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Depends what you are going for. I love EMG’s in a Fender Jazz. If you want a more vintage tone...I highly recommend single could Nordstrand or Lindy Fralin Pickups. For an outside of the box option...I have been pretty blown away by the 4th generation Fender Noiseless Pickups that I have sampled in a couple of the new Fender Elite Jazz Basses, and the PJ combo in my new Fender Elite PJ.

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The old Gibson mudbucker is pretty good for bass.

I'd recommend it if you want to stay out of treble.

15. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    You have a somewhat limited choice given that the bass has humbuckers. I've really only seen the EMGs, some dual blade Lawrence and the Carvin M22B for that form factor. I'm sure there are more out there now.

The EMG bass HB is just their P pickup in the humbucker casing. What don't you like about it? You can do a lot with EMGs, especially if you use their preamps.

You can always modify the bass and install whatever you want. Musicman style pickups or G&L MFDs would require some routing, but would cover the original hole.

16. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    As a general response to your thread title, I’m biased when I suggest these:
    CB09DB9D-F753-49E7-8A47-5E4ABCE049FF.

As for your specific instrument, I wonder if a pair of Thunderbuckers would slip in without much fuss...

bigtone23 likes this.
  17. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Best pickups made?
    Alembic.
    Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

40Hz, wideload, MYLOWFREQ and 2 others like this.
  18. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    G&L L series

Hyball27, Luigir and JohnnyPustular like this.