1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who played music this weekend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, May 25, 2020.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    This is the first week that bars are reopened and I couldn't help myself. Played an hour at a beer joint jam with an excellent crew. Kept my social distancing from everyone.

It was great playing again.

2. Did an hour and a half outside gig in the Heights (Houston) in front of of a guys house across from a park. Drew about 60 people ,who all kept their social distance. Even made a little cash for the first time since Feb. , which is needed.

Amazing what you can forget in three months!

DrMole, Quinn Roberts, leto and 6 others like this.
  3. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Where are you located?

Are the bars open for indoor service at full capacity?

4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I am down in the Houston area. The patronage at the biker bar was light and spread out. The garage doors were open on two sides so lots of space.

The guy who owns the bar is also a musician so he had some good players. There were a couple of folks really rockin to the music.

I dont think the owner made much money.

5StringBlues likes this.

5. I am also in Houston. Bars opened Friday but only at 25% capacity. Some of the smaller blues bars have elected not to open back up yet. Being allowed only 18 patrons, they know their costs will outweigh their income.

6. Mike's a good guy, have't seen him in years. Perhaps I should meet you out there soon.

IamGroot likes this.
  7. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Cool. We played Miles Davis and Willy Nelson, Billy and his keyboardist were great.

5StringBlues likes this.

8. Who was on keys?

audreycashin likes this.
  9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Dont remember name, but he was pretty good. The New Jack Hippies guy was on bass.

5StringBlues likes this.
  10. Might have been Chaz.

11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Edit Roger Tausz. Had that Lee Sklar vibe going.. I don't know any of the downtown players except you and Slowtime. I think I have seen Roger years ago but on the production side.

Last edited: May 25, 2020

12. Yeah, Schwartz is the New Jack guy, tho he plays guitar with them. Roger Tausz plays bass with New Jacks. If it was a small grey haired dude, that's Roger.

13. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Yep, was typing my edit. We have an entirely different world up here in Conroe. I dont even go to Houston anymore except for college and hotel gigs. Which I hope will return.

5StringBlues likes this.
  14. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Got together with my friend and jammed ZZ Top! 6385FEB2-1ACB-4C58-8D46-43F44E7D18D2.jpeg

15. Yeah, Roger is a hell of an engineer! An very creative with harmonics on the bass.

16. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Did my regular gig Thursday and practiced for the first time back with my original band. Felt great!

17. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I'm still playing along with the TV. We're in the first stages of opening back up, and no live gigs that I'm aware of are happening here yet. I don't expect bands to be able to play until at least September. I've heard talk of July, but I'm not optimistic.

Good luck over there. I believe a 2nd, worse, wave will be making itself evident soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Jeff Elkins, equill, vvvmmm and 4 others like this.
  18. Was there a singer? From what I've read, a singer with asymptomatic Covid could spread a lot of it around without knowing it.

19. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Oma knows best!

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  20. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Nearest seated folks were 20 ft from stage . Most were more than 40.