1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who runs Bass -> Cable -> Amp ... no effects?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SeismicAssault, Sep 30, 2008.

1. I hear a lot of talk about the "Perfect Bass Tone", but it seems like almost everyone runs pedals / rack effects either before the amp or in the loop.

There are many comments like "XX bass into XX amp -- perfection", but yet that's not what people seem to do. I've got a Squier VMJ and a Peavey Firebass 700 (on the way), and I like to keep it simple ... bass -> cable -> amp.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, just wanted to see who else does it this way.

Anyone else do it like this? What's your bass / cable / amp setup, if so, and for what type of music?

2. The idea of even putting a tuner between my bass and amp makes me cringe a little. The vast majority of bassists that I know don't use any effects, pedals, in-line tuners, etc.

I never quite got 'effects' with bass (although I get the idea of a distortion pedal, if that's what you are into).

I guess it also has to do with the types of music you play and the gigs you do. For most pro and semi-pro freelancers playing pop/rock/jazz/funk, it's cab, amp, bass and out:)

Edit: Primary rig is an Alleva-Coppolo LM5, any cable I happen to grab, Markbass F1, Epifani410UL or Bergantino AE410.

3. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V -> Bass Monster Cable -> Ampeg210SP

4. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    I don't use any effects of any type... I run my Cirrus 6 (well, all my basses...) straight into either my LMII or Shuttle 6, which powers my Carvin LS-1503 cab. By far the best tone I've ever had. I'm usually playing either jazz or gospel type music, though it fills the needs of pretty much any gig I've taken it to so far!

5. MK Club Custom 4 AEB > Bayou 18' cable > Mesa/Boogie M6 Carbine/Powerhouse 1200

<OR>

Warwick Corvette $$ > Bayou 18' cable > Mesa/Boogie M6 Carbine/Powerhouse 1200

So far, the only addition I'm considering is a tuner of some sort.

6. I'm not into effects.............yet.

I mostly play blues music. Tried a few effects and they are fun but not something I feel I need.

7. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's entirely about the style of music. There's nothing wrong with either side.

If you're playing Motown standards, you'd better not stick anything between that P-bass and your amp.

If you're touring with NIN...well, why don't you go tell JMJ he doesn't need FX for that and see what happens. ;)

-Mark

8. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    i'm a no effects guy myself. bass straight into svt4 pro, eq just about flat. works for me.

9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i go straight into my amp, aside from the peterson tuner in between, but it's a clean bypass and i hear no difference with it there...the only time i play with effects is fooling around at home or with a side project occasionally

10. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I would concur with Ken's comments, the idea of having a "signal chain" worries me. Even in the case of a tuner I always run it from the tuner out on my amp.

Lakland (passive JO 4 or 5 string) - Spectraflex or monster cable (usually 10 feet sometimes 15 feet) to -

Glockenklang Heartrock or AI Focus 2RIII and Sadowsky SA410 or EA NL210

11. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    BC Rich Basses (double p's, passive) > Monster bass cable > SVT -4 Pro > Carvin BR 410

Tuner out on the back side, not in the signal chain.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I do have a TU-2 between my bass and amp. I like it for muting, although my amp does as well so I may take it out. It is very easy to just hit the pedal and tune though...

I have been debating adding effects, although most of my gigs don't need them. I am close to getting a Demeter Comp pedal to tighten up the Squire fretless - and my fretted. Chorus is nice fo rthe smooth jazz gigs. I don't know. Probably more trouble than they're worth.

13. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Up until recently, I have always played without effects. I now have a small board, but the only "effect" is the EBS octaver, which I use for a couple of tunes. Except for the tuner, I could easily skip the rest, but they are great fun. :D

14. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    At home, and in the studio...

Pedulla Rapture 5 > Monster Cable > 1964 Ampeg B15, all original.

Actually playing, I have a pedal board that rivals alot of guitarists. It includes the following...

Akai Deep Impact, Digitech Bass Synth Wah, Human Gear Animato, MJM Britbender, Woolly Mammoth, Boss Flanger BF-2, Boss OC-2, Boss LS-2, Akai Intelliphase, Little Big Muff, and peterson Strobostomp...

I have the same number of pedals sitting in the closet, waiting for their day to come.

15. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I do. I've deviated from it, but always return to it. I can always tell some sort of difference with things in the signal path, even if they are true-bypass, even if they aren't on... and it bugs the heck out of me.

When it's just straight there is some X factor that is gone when anything else is in the signal chain...

16. dustdbass6

dustdbass6 Alembic User

Apr 24, 2007
    Livermore, California
    Ken Smith CR5->whatever cable I can find->GBE1200->Mesa Powerhouse 1000

I used a EBS BassIQ for awhile, but it just wasn't necessary to make good music. The band is more into the content of the tunes rather than the "environment" of them, if that makes sense.

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    *puts hand up*

I never needed effects for covers I did and I got the sound I wanted without them on the originals I recorded. That being said, I'm not against using an effect if it gave me what I wante din a given situation.

But in general, my preference is bass -> cord -> amp. If I played other genres I'd use whatever was appropriate.

18. I read the OP and thought... That's me. Then y'all started talking tuners and dang it, that's me.

Other than my boss tuner I'm all about the bass the cable and the Amp.

Do I get to be old school now? :)

19. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Me too.

Practice Rig:
    Bass>cable>GBcombo...

Gig Rig
    Bass>cable>GBE1200

20. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Currently, I run no effects. I run from either of my Carvin LB 76 basses (fretted and frettless) or my Steinberger XL-2 in to my Trace Elliot GP12 preamp. In the Trace effects loop I have a Korg DTR1 tuner, and then it outputs to a Crown Powerbase 2. This into a Peavey 410TX.

Now, I like the trace for clean, but it is a really dry preamp. I am on the prowl for a tube preamp... an Alembic F1-X, SWR Grand Prix, Demeter...something like this. Then comes the insanity. I have a Rocktron Patchmate sitting in a box ready for the rack. Think a full midi controlled, switching rig. It has multiple loops so I can put a preamp in independent loops. Throw in my BBE near the tail end in its own loop, probably a TC Chorus , and a compressor in their own loops. The nice thing is that this is a true bypass method so that the effects do not effect you tone while not switched in. The one thing I want to avoid, which is something I tried, was a digital multieffects unit. I had a TC G major, and the effects were good. The thing was that it through a A/D and D/a into it, and it just looses a certain something in the process. And yes, I know I need a line mixer as well.

Mark