Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who the hell is

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ben Harper's bass player? The really big guy. I'm watching him on TV right now and I'm ready to throw my Bongo out the window. Bass playing is seeming rather pointless at the moment.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I want to say that his name is Juan Nelson. I'm not sure. I've never heard him play though...just read his section in "Bass Gear" a year or two ago.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Joe, I'm no expert, but I believe his name is Juan Nelson, I think Bass Player (you know the magazine your always on the cover of!) did a little thing on him a couple of years ago.

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    This guy is a freaking monster - and I really like his style. It's the kind of playing I aspire towards. Looks like I gots to get me some Ben Harper albums - not my favorite music, but worth it's weight in bass. :)

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    "Live from Mars" is humbling :eek: Check Juan's solo in "Steal my Kisses" The dude shreads while never loosing the monster groove!

6. Fight for Your Mind is awesome (as long as you're looking to buy). In fact, there was a 3 CD set available a few years back that is probably gathering dust in your local music shop. Pick it up.

Mike

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Great album, great solo!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO, one would be better served by listening to what Juan Nelson listened to...to me, it sounds like he has digested his fair share of Rock-Pop-Soul-Funk-R&B-Jazz-Latin-Reggae.
    So, if one's current listening thing is 90% Rock...just consider spreading it around, i.e. expand the horizons.

;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes that's right - the more you listen to - the more you realise there is to know...;)

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Juan Nelson is correct. He is one of my all time favorite players. Has killer tone and style, and mixes in just enough fancy stuff to be cool without ever killing a groove or sound like he's wanking hehe.

And here is a live Fight For Your Mind with a killer solo, and legal :)

www.synmicro.com/prod/itempics/personal/dave/fight.mp3

11. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I caught a bit of the show on Music Choice cable show and was lucky enough to see "Steal My Kisses" - his whole line, and solo, had a great feel - and his playing looks so effortless.

I usually don't buy albums for a song - but this would be worth it.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its ok, the whole album is good, so it would be a worthwhile purchase :)

13. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, I never realized Ben Harper had such a great bassist, but I've only listened to a couple of his songs. Time for more, perhaps. :bassist:

14. On a sidenote, he plays a CS Fender Jazz V in something similar to sea-foam green. There's an article on him from a few Bassics magazines ago.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    From what little I've heard... yeah... amazing...

16. Thanks for this post Joe.

I grew up listening to an unbelievably narrow range of music :meh: , and anytime someone mentions a new, great, bass player I hadn't heard of I look 'em up. I've downloaded several Ben Harper songs off of Music Match! Great way to burn a few bucks.

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks Juneau for the heads up on this. Just got a chance to listen it to it now. That's my new boy! :)

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love Juan's playing. He's an excellent bassist with an excellent tone...plus he reinforces the stereotype of the "jolly fat guy." He used to play a custom MTD that was a gift to him from Ben. Someone above said he's now using a CS Fender. Further evidence that the tone is in the player.

brad cook

19. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I know that they have atleast one live dvd. And hey who was Ben Harpers mother? They kinda talk a little about his mom in the start of the dvd i have saying that she also performed at the place but the never really say who she was?

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just listened to this (mad props to Juneau for the link)...I had never heard of the guy before. This brotha's got some serious chops!!

Best Buy is across the street from my office (a blessing and a curse)... looks like my cd player has a new playmate! :smug: