1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who uses ashtray covers on their P/J ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bigshiny, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    So who uses ashtray covers on their p/j ? I've been looking into this lately but haven't seen much of anything. I have a 1979 Precision Special that someone added a J p/u to it. Was wondering how a J bridge cover would look on a P bass?

2. Proudly rocking covers since 1967.....

P-bass.

If you have a P, why not just put a P cover on it?

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'd put a P cover on the P pickup, and a Jazz bridge cover for the J pickup. It may look mismatched at first, but it would be cool, I reckon.

4. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    My J bass has both it's covers on, my P bass has neither. My p/j never had covers. I also have a Ric with the p'up cover still in place. It's been there for nearly 42 years. I see no reason to change.

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've added (if needed) them to every P and J that I own. That's currently 13. Here's an unusual '94-'95 MIJ Precision in bluish/grayish photo-flame with the added covers and finger rest. :cool:

6. I'm new to basses, so I'm going to ask perhaps a dumb question. Why do people mount the thumb rest on the underside of the strings verses the top? Isn't it a thumb rest wouldn't it go on top?

7. In earlier times, electric bass players used the thumb as the picking finger just like the way one would play a guitar (think of the way Wes Montgomery played guitar) and the thumb rest was called a "tug bar". Later on, the tug bar moved above the strings as the thumb became more of an anchor for the other fingers of the plucking hand to do the plucking. That's when people started calling it a thumb rest.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    If you were 62 like me, you'd likely have learned to play bass with your thumb and used the bar to support your fingers. I have a '66 Precision that I bought new and have played for many years. It's finger rest has little groove impressions on it that perfectly fit my index, middle and ring fingers from all of the years playing it digging and tugging on that bar. :)

9. Thank you both for the prompt and kind answers for a newb, I had thought that but wasn't sure. I enjoy learning and teaching skills. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. :)

I am not much younger then you sir and grew up in Detroit and had lots of exposure to the FUNK. Now I will have to re-explore some of the old Motown goodies, just to check some Ole School players. Any recommendations? :)

10. P.S. what are your recommendations for the position of a new player, above or below?

11. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not many people really use them, whether they're above or below. At least, that's my experience. I have one below and it never gets touched. Purely aesthetic.

Bringing the thread back on track, OP, I don't think anyone read your actual request :meh: hahaha. I stated my opinion earlier - use the different ashtray covers for the different pickup styles. It might look cool.

Edit: Just don't do it like this guy: You'll want the J bridge ashtray, and the P pickup ashtray.

12. TC424

TC424

Jun 24, 2010
    Holtwood, PA
    I put one on mine. It was more to cover up the J rout that wasn't too clean that was done before. I still have it this way if you would like a better picture.

Attached Files:

13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    An early pickup ashtray.
    P1150293.

14. Unless you're planning on playing it "old school" with your thumb then you'd probably be better with it above.

Although I would think that for most players its an aesthetic choice anyway---certainly a lot of players don't use one at all.