Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who was

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tkarter, Dec 19, 2003.

1. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Who was the bassist for Lynard Skynard?

tk

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks I always seem to type the name wrong.

He was a great bassist. I always wanted to know who it was I want to be able to play like. I do miss that band

tk

3. Was their bassist the same all the way through up until now though? I know they changed most of their members, but I wasn't sure bout him. And Skynyrd are my fave band, just tawt I'd give that a mention!

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    all those that passed on are missed. They were the best band ever.

tk

5. while theres only 2-3 of them left, they are still awesome live!

i saw 'e back in July i think.. was an amazing show!

The guitarist had a stroke or something, so i think they are finally retiring...!

6. Yeah Free Bird somehow changed me in an unexplainable way, I'm not really sure how, but it had such an effect on me that I found that my whole perspective on life had been changed, and my personality had been totally erased (which was kinda cool cause I was a right prat!) and I was able to build up a totally new one.
    Damn just realised what an eejit I sound like. I'm only sixteen, I'm not meant to start spouting this spiritual s**te for another 30 odd years! Ah sure.
    Oh yeah, I saw them in July to in Dublin, would have been around the same time, few days in between maybe. That was an unreal show!

7. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Wow what memories. The "One More from the Road" album came out in 76 I think. It was the only thing I played in my car for around 6 months. I drove my friends nuts. I believe it was 77 when the "Street Survivors" album came out. I had purchased the LP that had the picture of them standing with the flames all around them. The record had turned out to be a little warped so I returned it to KMart. They were out of stock so I figured I'd get another one later on. When the plane crash happened they were all pulled off the shelves everywhere and later re-released with new covers without the flames. The one with the flames is a real collectors item now. Another tidbit. A day or two after the plane crash, I was in a rock and roll night club named The Whippin Post in Augusta Ga. The cover band dedicated an entire 1hr set to Skynyrd and nailed every song they played, ending with a killer exact extended rendition of Free Bird that left not a dry eye in the house. Ok sorry for digressing down memory lane.

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    As a band they were the best. The bass was good as it gets too. There are lots of good bands today but will they ever surpass the one and only?

My favorites Tuesday's gone, Curtis Lowe, Gimme three steps, Freebird, Things goin on you don'tknow.

tk

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I kind of liked Leon Wilkeson's habit of frequently changing his hat during concerts. He had quite an interesting collection of hats. I decided I would do that, too, but I was never really in the kind of band that would lend itself to such a practice.