Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who's the bass player for live gwen stefani??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    Gwen Stefani has a japanese lady playing bass for her live shows... I saw this bass player in the "bass player" mag endorsing ashdown amps i think?

I cant for the life of me remember her name... does anybody else know who I'm talking about?

2. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Miiko Watanabe

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    :::::edited:::::

4. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Were you ever stationed overseas? :)

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I probably shouldn't say anything because people here think I'm obsessed with race, but I think that ":::::edited:::::" button is a sexist and racial slur against a female bassist of Japanese origin. I don't belive you meant any harm, but that image reinforces a stereotype instead of recognizing Miiko Watanabe's talent as a musician.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    While I do agree that what fraublugher posted is a bit tasteless, I don't quite get what the phrase "I love u long time" has to do with Japanese women. Is it a movie reverence or something?

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My guess is that it is a reference to Japanese prostitutes around military installations or who serve tourists. Either way, Miiko Watanbe is pro with a major gig, she has nothing in common with a $10 prostitute in Japan but her race.

8. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    "Fullmetal Jacket" comes to mind when I hear that phrase, not nice. I did see that Ashdown ad (i think) and I didn't know she was touring with Gwen. What other bands has she played with?

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah... I'm not sure I like that either, fraublugher.