Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why a stereo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basmeisje, Oct 26, 2004.

1. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi all,

I'm wondering what the use of a stereo amp is. I got other doubts about my amp choise and I will include them in this post, so please answer me as much as you can.
    I'm thinking about a SWR (yes I like them) SM 500. It's stereo 2x250 watts at 4ohm. But when I use it mono it will provide 500 watts at 4ohm. So if I hook up a load of two cabs at 4ohm both cabs will get 250watts in either mode, so what's the use. I understand that in stereo you can hook up 4 cabs, but that is a bit over the top for me. Am I missing something?

I also looked at the Ashdown EVO II 500. I liked it but it is very expencive here in Holland. I can buy one in Germany for a lot (360 euro's)less, but then I read about reliabillity issues and then it won't be a good idea to buy it 400km further. I have a good relantionship with the local supplier so if it's broke he'll help me out and give me a replacement for the time being, witch is worth a lot to me (also one of the reassons I think I will buy a new amp).

Another amp I think about is the SWR 550x. But I think the sm500 has a really better EQ. But then again I like the subwave on the 550x and on the Ashdown.

Last optinon is: I'm having a SWR baby baby blue and I really like it. I can buy a power amp (SWR 750) and use the line out of the Baby Baby Blue preamp. But then I always need to carry the BBBlue extra. But I can buy a nice preamp later, so I'm still considering that option.

I don't know about cabs yet, thinking about starting with a 4x10 and later add another 4x10 or a 2x12. But a 2x10 is another option so I can choose 2, 4 or 6 ten's. Maybe that's where the stereo is handy? To get the 4x10 and the 2x10 at the same volume level?

Well it's gotten a long post, I'll be happy with all the answers. I know I got the try them, actually did last weekend, but sound wise I like them all three, but the features and the reliabillity issue confusses me to make a choise.

Yvette

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Maybe a couple of things? :cool:

First: If your two cabs are 8 ohms, you're going to see something like 150 watts to each in stereo, not the 250 that 4 ohm cabs would get.

Second: If the cabs are different in sensitivity (or impedance), in a mono configuration, you'll just have to live with the balance between the two, whatever that may be. In a stereo rig, you can balance volumes between cabs. In some cases, you can EQ each cab separately as well.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup pass is right. the stereo amps are much more flexible. Not only can you use the two channels for cabinets of different sensitivities, but for cabinets with different inpedances as well. Most mono amps have a mimimum load of 4 ohms. If you have a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab you are out of luck. With a stereo amp that's no problem.
    As far as using the baby blue as a preamp. Bot the line out and the effects send (if you're not using the effects loop) are preamp outputs. I've used my electric blue head (the head only version of the SWR baby blue) as a preamp a gazillion times.

4. i would keep the "baby" and got a pwr amp(around 1000w). if you like it you like it and there´s no idea changing right? and maybe two 1x 12" cabs?
    i would make a small yet powerfull rig and you could use the baby as a monitor for yourself(it´s the combo u have right?).

5. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes it's the combo.
    Does any of you know if the SWR SM500 actually has seperated EQ for both stero sides?

I hardly ever use effects and I play a passive MIA Jazz and a '74 P bass.

Yvette

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope, the sm-500 (and almost all stereo amps) has just one set of eq.