1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are so many musicians flaky?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I used to enjoy working with Engineers, because they were usually well disciplined.
    As a matter of fact, the jobs/fields they choose are often called their "Discipline".

Musicians on the other hand, well I think we all know the recurring theme of flakiness from the Band Management sub-forum.

I think it's a general thing with folks who use that side of the brain more, artists, etc.

Addendum:

Please don't put words in my mouth. I did not say ALL or even the majority of musicians.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    AlexanderB, jfh2112, onosson and 6 others like this.
  2. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Yes, it is. And if you think musicians are bad, try being around tattoo artists. Flake doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

3. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I work side by side with dozens of engineers for going on 22 years and have never heard one refer to their chosen field as their "discipline ". I will give you the flaky part about musicians though.

Mike A, Esoge, joebar and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I don't think musicians are any more flaky than anybody else. I think it just gets put under a magnifying glass because we're so dependent upon each other. I don't consider myself flaky at all, and I know lots if musicians I feel the same about. I also know a lot of flaky people who are not musicians.

5. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    It's not so much being a musician as being right brained, or right brain dominant. I'm definitely left brain dominant, but have my bouts of flakiness.
    tmp_32659-Left_Vs_Right_Brain188602425.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    all of my musician friends are hella flakey!!!!!! BUT, i go in knowing that and it hardly bothers me because i bring everything to every gig in my truck. i have the rehearsal space in my name, i own every instrument (except horns), i book most of the gigs and collect the purse, i bring extra miscellaneous gear, etc.
    if i play in your band, then i just might be the flake unless i like your band,.. then i take over your band if you mess up as the leader. come to one of my shows late or unprepared,...
    LAWD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!!!!

btw,.. i'm not a musician. i'm a businessman!!! :thumbsup::D:mad::spit:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You do realize that you have just given your "loyal following" an entire ammo dump full of "You ain't in a band" and "hearsay" et al.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Musicians don't have a lock on flakiness. I'm am engineer BTW and I've met plenty of flakes in this business.

cchorney and Matthew_84 like this.
  9. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    I wouldn't say that's true at all. I am into music, art, creativity, all that. But if I say I'm going to be somewhere I am there or I let people know I won't.

I know many flaky people who aren't creative at all.

Just another stereo type that has no actual basis in reality.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm not crazy about people period, I'll take dogs anyday!

11. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Nowhere did I, nor the illustration, say that every single right brained person is artistically creative, or anything else described. My wife is one of the most stoic, organized, and dutiful people I've ever met. She's also one of the best artists I've ever seen. Having no formal training at any point in her life, she can take a photo and make a pencil sketch that you would swear is a black and white photo. I have also had many friends in the engineering and sciences fields who, to the average person, show no signs of creativity whatsoever. However, the ability to solve problems by seeing solutions no one else sees marks them as being extremely creative. And by the way- all stereotypes are based in reality. That's what a stereotype is: an overgeneralized, simplified, and/or exaggerated trait that is used to denigrate a group of people.

mj_ likes this.
  12. I'm guessing you've only worked in the USA then. It's quite common elsewhere.

upload_2016-2-25_16-31-58.

13. Have you worked in an office environment that requires discipline?
    I think maybe you just have become accustomed the flakiness.
    :cool:

Yes, but are they the type that use the right side of their brain?, artists...

I've been around musicians enough to know flakiness when I see it.

I guess I was lucky in the industry I worked in. Flakiness meant getting fired, so it rarely happened.

MG514 and SirMjac28 like this.
  14. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Temperamental might be more prevalent and annoying.

15. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yes I have worked outside the USA. It's also quite common to refer to the toilet in different terms all over the world.

Toilet Names - ToiletInspector.com -

RiZzBot likes this.
  16. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    Your entire first sentence says exactly that 'it's not musicians it's RIGHT BRAINED PEOPLE'. The first line of the chart also says that: Creativity, followed by Imagination.

Then you say you are left brained but even you can be flaky (implying that right brained people are typically the flaky ones).

And yet you say you are left brained (ironically the chart says logic is a trait).
    -------
    So your entire post was about what you just denied saying but you throw in the 'every single one line' to justify it. Then you quote me as if I'm bullpoopieting?

------
    IMO it's easy to try and make stereo types and they usually exist because someone will just agree to the point of ad nuaseum, 'oh yeah you're right, musicians ARE flaky'. When it has more to do with ignoring the opposite side of the spectrum which is many people of all types are flaky. But that's hard to categorize.
    It's like saying women are bad drivers, or asians are: More likely it's just biased BS that people latch onto.

Probably musicians think musicians are flaky because they deal with a lot of musicians. Do the same people deal with a lot of athletes? If they did they'd probably be considered just as flaky.
    On the other end of the scale do you think PROFESSIONAL musicians are flaky? I doubt someone in an orchestra would be professional if they were flaky.

Most likely people in garage bands are just more relaxed and are flaky in all parts of life.

RiZzBot and Matthew_84 like this.
  17. I'm surprised you never heard the term "discipline" used to refer to one's chosen field of work.
    It was one of the first things I noticed when I started working with Aussies & folks from the UK.

upload_2016-2-25_16-49-48.

18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I've been hanging around software developers for the past year or so, and sometimes I long for the company of the flaky photographers and artists I used to hang with.

19. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Perception is reality. One flaky member of a band has an impact on the other 4, but the whole band would be viewed as flaky by outsiders. I would assume that's one reason why DJ's started replacing bands in live music venue, it's easier to hire one guy who has his act together than hire a band who is probably a mixed bag of reliability.

20. Actually, I think athletes are probably least likely flaky, because it requires a good bit of discipline to be in that field.