Why do I keep hearing morse code from audio gear?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, May 18, 2007.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm referring to a blippy tone lasting a couple of seconds, about 1kHz frequency, that randomly comes from instrument rigs, computer speakers, car radios, etc... not just mine, but other people's. It's rather distressing... makes me think the gear is failing. Could it be from faulty transistors? Static electricity? Sunspots? Encoded transmissions from either the NSA, or the Blitnarfs on planet Hontel Fufni?

2. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Got a cell phone in your pocket or on your belt when it happens?

3. HomeBrewTJ

HomeBrewTJ

May 16, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    It happens all the time with my computer speakers, my stereo, and other stuff. Kind of annoying. I assume it has something to do with cell phones.

4. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    the 1st bass amp i ever had would pick up talk radio from around the country it was pretty cool. it might have just been random ham operators. anyway it was cool

5. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    It's them....

I now have aluminum foil under my hat to keep them out of my brain....

:bag:

:D

6. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    It's the cellphone digital signal. Shutoff cellphones near stage!!

7. It's cellphones alright. Gets pretty annoying at practice, but atleast I know I have a call coming!

I once picked up talk radio on a bass amp too. Apparently Stand Up basses make pretty good attenna. I'm playing a G scale and suddenly I hear "PRAISE JESUS."

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

It doesn't have to be in use (texting or talking) to produce that sound. It happens to me whenever any of my gear is within about 2-3 feet of my cellphone when it's on, whether it's actually in use or not.

9. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    yeah, cellular devices.

Its SUPER annoying when I have my rig cranked, and my bone-head guitarist's phone goes off.

BLEEP BLEEEEP MWEEEEP BLEEP BLEEP

(ME)
    TURN THAT GOD**** PHONE OFF, YA STUPID MUTHER******

11. The answer is that your mobile emits a constant signal to let the phone company where it is and also to lock onto the best phone signals. So what your amp is picking up is this signal.
    This happens due to electromagnetics. Amplifiers and speakers use piezoceramic materials to transmit sound, whihc rely on sound being translated to electrical currents to work, which is then ran over the piezoceramic plates to make them vibrate and make the sound. Mobile phones have their own electromagnetic radiation being emitted constantly, and this is what is picked up by the piezoceramic plates.
    Also, the magnetic force of the phone may be interfering with the amp wire's natural magnetic field. All wires have a natural magnetic field, allowing such things as electromagnets. If a strong source of electromagnetism is then placed near to it, this will interfere with the natural electric force, creating anomalies in the electric flow, which causes the blips.

12. Buzzgroove

Buzzgroove

Apr 11, 2007
    Scotland
    Yep sounds like mobile phone problems alright, usually due to the guitarist leaving it on top of his amp, they never seem to learn, those boys!

13. Buzzgroove

Buzzgroove

Apr 11, 2007
    Scotland
    Then again it could be scientology members at your gigs receiving downloads from the mothership.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The call is coming from inside your house, ma'am.

:eek:

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Last practice I had some sort of Japanese language radio program on, kinda cool actually.

16. We have this issue every-single-week at church. The rule is for rehearsals and of course the services, all cell phones are shut off completely upon entering the sanctuary area as they 'bleed' all over the PA.. man it sounds terrible. Even as they are being shut down, they seem to want to have the "final word" as they throw one more signal out thru the mains.

17. My teachers bass used to pick up russian jazz radio.
    Just mentioning!;)

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The foil needs to be on the outside, sorry...[​IMG]

19. KGB :ninja:

Has Major Metal been by??

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That's Comrade Metal to you, mister!:bag:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021