1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do I want an 8 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaybones, Dec 25, 2016.

1. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Is it just gas, or are they really as sweet playing as a 12 string guitar compared to a 6?

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    82733-why-not-both-meme-5lvd.

onosson, PortlandBass77 and rickwebb like this.
  3. PunkNerve

PunkNerve Fender Guitar and Bass Historian

Apr 24, 2016
    Ireland
    If you want it, you need it. That's the TalkBass logic. ;)

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Because of that incredible "Thrwang" when you sweep the pick. Why else?

5. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I've owned an 8-String Ric for almost 30 years. They are great for chords if you like playing chords but they also make riffs sound huge.

carsbybigd and rickwebb like this.
  6. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    @Bob_Ross Exactly! I already have 3 four stringers (12?), so adding an 8 would make sense. Would I then have 20 strings in the lower range?

GKon and Bob_Ross like this.
  7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    One of my Best. Sounds. Ever. was achieved by using a cardboard mailing tube on my 8-string. Sort of like a cross between Tony Levin's Funk Fingers and the bow one uses to play a berimbau. Talk about "Thrwang"!

ctmullins and Gilmourisgod like this.
  8. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    Multi-course basses rock! Just do it.
    H

rickwebb likes this.
  9. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've owned an 8 string for many years and love it. I've also gigged it a few times. Great, full sound and not hard to play at all.

carsbybigd and rickwebb like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You don't need any reason to get an 8-string bass. You only need a reason if you're not going to. ;)

(With apologies to Jennifer Jason Leigh.)

11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    8 = 2 x 4 stringer (octave)? I say go for it since apparently you want one.

Had few chances of buying either the Schecter or ESP LTD 8 stringer but didn't happen since I'd be lost without the low B.

Don't know why is there (almost) none 10 stringer (2 x 5 stringer - octave) in the market... Even here on TB seems only very very few who own one.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  12. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yes it's just GAS and and they are really much better compared to a 12 string guitar. trust me.

13. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    seems tuning and stringing would be a pain (that coming from a guy with 3
    6string basses)

carsbybigd likes this.
  14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I bought a Dean 12er about 15 years ago. I swapped out the 4 fundamental strings with flatwounds and left the rest round wounds. We played "Jeremy" in that band.

Recently been learning a few Bad Company songs and I think I can use it in 2 or 3 ofem.

carsbybigd likes this.
  15. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    I had one for years, lots of fun to play. They take up LOTS of room so they don't fit in all sonic spaces. Someone described the sound as a "dinosaur eating cars".

16. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Band name of the day.

17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Don't worry, I used to have (+/-) 15 six srtrng basses 10 years ago.

Dug2 likes this.
  18. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    That girl gives no message or facial expression that would make anyone think you should have both. Worst meme ever.

19. I had one for a while. Did some recording with it and played it live only a couple of times. It was just too heavy for my back and to hard to play for my short stubbie fingers. If you do not have these maladys then I suggest you get one and play it for me anyway, lol.

20. I think they are cool instruments and there's a few songs played on a 8 that I really like. I'm more into using octaves and dirt pedals to fill space instead though. Just my personal preference for the band I'm in. We're a one guitar band and I'm really into one guitar bands like muse, rage against the machine, Tool, Chevelle and so on where the bass player uses pedals. If I one day decided I didn't want to use pedals anymore I'd probably sell them and buy and 8 string lol