1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do Mexican Fenders get all the cool colors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    The player series are really lovely this time of year. Sage green? Tidepool? Buttercream?

Why does it seem like the American Fender basses are always white, black, burst, and maybe a fourth color that’s a little different?

I’m genuinely curious why Fender is so cautious with their American line when it comes to color options and so creative with their non-American options.

bordinco90, IPA, Thibby and 13 others like this.
  2. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Preach, brother.

Been trying to figure this out for some time. Fender could at least release a rainbow of colors when a new series issues, then as the series ages, they cease production of the poorer selling models. Each iteration of an instrument could attract a new generation of customers, or at least a new part of one generation.

Rebel Rocker, BrentD, Corbin and 7 others like this.
  3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    easy....more people buy the MIM's because of the price factor....more sales = More choices

4. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Is that true? Mexican Fenders sell more?

5. Well, the new American Performer series got both the satin surf green, satin lpb and the penny colors. I think both are quite left field compared to the regular sunburst. Black isn't even available as an option.

With that said, I would also like some more color options. Whatever happened to custom colors? Without having to buy a custom shop instrument for a million dollars?

6. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Touché, @LinusKarlsson. Fender did do fairly well with the color options on the ‘new’ Performer series. According to the Fender Factory Tour at Corona, their best-selling color is three-tone sunburst, followed by black. Supposedly the sales comparisons aren’t even close. I don’t get it. I don’t see all that many 3TSBs for sale in the shops, much less on NBDs or in the classifieds here (yes, I understand TB is a microculture, but that’s my example).

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    No reason not to buy MIM if the colors suit you better. They're excellent basses.

8. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    4E69DF12-9882-4B49-A9B8-B04BAD12283B.

9. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    A93C4C57-7A22-4173-9441-48BD4392596C.

10. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Is the third house on the right side sunburst? :laugh:

The pro series has a sonic grey jazz and the antique olive and CAR precisions, so choices are not as bad this time.

zZippy, staurosjohn, fretter and 3 others like this.
  11. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    For the time being, Fender's Mod Shop is the compromise, offering a wider (but still limited) selection of colors and options without having to take the full Custom Shop route.

MCF, dcbassist5, rashrader and 2 others like this.
  12. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Honestly, IMO there's something good to be said about both examples above, relating to bass colors.

zZippy, Spidey2112 and Rob Martinez like this.
  13. I would be interested in a P-bass finished in 'enery 'iggins just you white.

Real Soon, MartinB, vegas532 and 2 others like this.
  14. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    One thing that bugs me about the current Player Series lineup is that the buttercream comes only with maple fretboard ... would love one with rosewood... well pau ferro really...

bdplaid, Mantis Tobaggan and dmt like this.
  15. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I just bought a lake placid blue American Original 60's P. I think that's one of the coolest colors.
    5ha5ha3h5h5.

16. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I also worked on this for ocean turquoise elite jazz for a customer this week. Also American.
    D595DC7A-D334-4025-9E5E-D49CA2675B3E.

nnnnnn, MCF, retslock and 8 others like this.
  17. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Just bought one too. Pictures don’t do it justice.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  18. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    The metal flake looks SO good in person. It also reacts differently to all the stage light colors. The pic in my avatar is one of my favorites.

19. gorneyg

gorneyg Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2012
    New Jersey
    Have you seen their soccer uniforms?

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    *Warning- gross generalizations ahead*

MIA buyers are probably older and more conservative and traditional in their tastes. Hence burst, white and black.

It would be very cool if Fender offered their full pallate of colors as a modest upcharge, but like neck dimensions on P basses, it's just not their business model.