1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why do my hands sweat so much

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 13, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    You probably think this has nothing to do with bass but it makes me barely able to even play and tgey constantly sweat if I dont wash my hands like every 30 mins I can't play especially with my fingers and my fingers are all slippety and stuff on the fretboard its so annoying no one in mt family has this problem they think its because im nervous or anxious which I ussually am would this affect my hands though

2. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Probably a question more for a medical forum. Look up hyperhidrosis (I think that's it) and treatments for this condition. Sounds like a pain, hope you find something that helps.

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
  4. rar plar

rar plar

Sep 8, 2010
    Spain
    I used to worry a lot about my sweating hands during the first few months as a bass player, but believe me, you get used to it, to the point that it'll be a usual part of your playing when you keep practicing and develop calluses in the plucking and fretting areas of your fingers*. When we have the A/C cooling the rehearsal room and I keep playing in front of it, it's way harder to achieve the warm left hand/lubricated neck feeling that I have instinctively associated to "be playing the bass".

The only drawback: if you like a very bright tone coming from your bass you'll have to clear the funky clusters out of your strings once in a while. I'm a flatwound lover, so I keep a relaxed attitude about it if it doesn't get in the way of my playing. :D

* This was my experience. I've only hurt my fingers once from overplaying without the proper hardening of my fingers after months without practice, and only because I've got an unusually blown pain threshold. If you don't feel any hardening of the tips of your fingers after a couple of weeks of short practice rutins and the pain keeps you from being able to increase your practicing time, then my piece of advice is of no use.

5. Baby powder with cornstarch works well I've been told. Dust your hands down with it before playing.