1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do people consider old basses to be "beautiful"? when you can get same model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    This is the most pointless thread I've ever read on TB - so pointless I'm not even gonna post this reply.

Dang!

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    That is why some people buy re issues of old basses and some people but genuine vintag einstruments, some people want the broken in look and some want the look of the vintage instrunments but without the wear.

3. I'm curious what the OP expected when he opened this thread. Did you think that someone was going to enlighten you with a reason you hadn't seen before? Did you think that because of your post that everyone was going to realize that their affinity for old/vintage basses was silly?

I mean c'mon, seriously. Arguing this is like arguing politics. No one ever wins, so what's the point?

4. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    the guy had a question, if you don't feel like answering his question please feel free to not post in this thread. There is no need to make useless comments that will accomplish nothing other than getting the thread locked.

new > old

5. aws

aws

Feb 10, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    AS others have said, this seems to be going no where, but I will quickly weigh in.

To the OP, why don't you tell us what you like in...anything really? Be it girls, cars, music, clothes all the way through to basses. Do you honestly expect everyone to see the same way as you? If said you like a blonde, thin girl, then you would be asked why from someone who likes brunette, curvy girls. And you will never be able to truly understand each other. If you said you like new cars and hate the look of fixed up, pristine looking older cars, you would get the same question from those that do. That's why this question can't be truly answered, nor understood.

As to why people buy re-issues, well it's personal taste. I can't answer for everyone, but for one, an RI may very well cost less, and be more readily available. But more importantly you get something that looks old - just like you want - but feels and plays new and you can give life to your 'own' bass and create a story of its own.

I mean, really, why do people buy RI Air Jordans? Why do you see so many younger people wearing Wayfarers in the street? Using that shoe example, some people will tell that the Jordan I's look better than the newest pair, some will say the opposite, as they like brand new and not 'vintage'. It's purely a case of personal taste, nothing more, nothing less.

As they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Guess that wasn't exactly 'quickly', was it. ;)

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Glass houses...

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I like the look of a heavy relic on my glass house. Maybe that's just me.

8. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I mainly play bass, so looks are only minimally important to me. If a pink Hello Kitty bass sounded phat it would stop for a second thinking about the pink, but then grab it and play. All that said I do appreciate a bass that has REAL battle wear from playing and gigging. I don't like most the basses made to look vintage, I think they over do it.

Now many old basses do have a cool sound from the aging/drying out of the wood the playing in for the neck and years of tweaking. Old pickups all vary in sound and some are amazing. I look at it as if a instrument is still around 20-30 years later it was a keeper the bad one are in a dump somewhere. So survival of the best you could say.

My instruments range in age from 30 YO to 4 YO. A lot of the new gear is good and consistency in manufacturing is good now. So if it plays good, and sounds good I'll play it.

Close to the topic... I don't understand players who can tell you more about every scratch and ding right down to practically microscopic ones than the music they play. They obsess over the looks of their bass, its an instrument made to play, play it. Sweat, cigarette burns, chipped finish from being knocked over at gigs, scratches from buttons and belt buckles, and general gunk are badges of honor for a working musician.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    There's an obvious answer, too:

Single coil Precisions, original or reissue, sound unique and not at all like split coil Ps.

Modern Ps sound different from early-version split coils, original or reissue.

I have a '51 RI, a '50s RI, and a modern P fretless. This selection gives me a wide range of sounds I can coax from my instrument.

I don't think any other defense is necessary.

10. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I think that you really need to have owned a few older and newer basses, before you can truly decide on the merits of each - it's hard to rationalise it via a computer keyboard :meh:.

A few years ago, I would never have considered a "vintage" instrument, for much the same reasons as the OP :meh:.

A few years later, I've worked my way through all kinds of basses, trying to find what's "right for me" and much to my surprise, I find myself coming back to the Fender Precision every time :eyebrow:. Why? Well, I guess that I'm just not a "boutique player" ;) - I play mostly fingerstyle, thuddy, pumping lines and the P Bass has just the right amount of "smoothness and punch", as well as a solid feel to its' construction.

I'm showing off here, albeit to make a point ;) - but here's my current stable and the '55 (CC) Precision is (currently) my favourite and most played of all of them. Go figure :meh: !??

IMG_0755.

Admittedly, I love it for the way that it makes me feel when I'm playing it, rather than the way that it looks (it is a bit fugly, afterall :D). The thing is, when you get a taste for the way older basses (or even well-built relics) play and sound, it does tend to colour your judgement on how "beautiful" they are ;).

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Been there, done that, but they don't have a T shirt for it...yet.

I know what you mean about some early instruments. I've found that not all but just a very few have "it" whatever "it" is. In fact, over the decades I've been playing and trading in basses I've found precisely one that had "it" and it was also a light '55 P. I bought it 20+ years ago when they cost considerably less than they do today.

I recently replicated it in tone and feel with a DIY SCPB in my preferred slab body style for less than $600 compared to $10,000-$15,000 for another vintage one that wouldn't be the same anyway. New instruments can have "it" too but they're also few and far between. Of course everyone's idea of what "it" is will very likely be different.

YMMV

12. I think some of the high end "boutique" basses of today are the ugliest instruments ever made.