1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do people consider old basses to be "beautiful"? when you can get same model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Mar 2, 2008.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no it doesn't, the mojo belongs to the instrument. if it inspires a new owner to excel, then it's obviously working.

do you even know what mojo is? no offense, but i doubt it, based on your comments here, and even what i am presuming is the premise of this thread - i still haven't figured out complete what you are asking - is it why do folks consider old/worn instruments beautiful, or why they consider them desirable or ... what?

i love

2. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    This is funny to me. Trying to understand someones tastes in looks, and find a definitive answer for someone who doesn't share that taste. Alot of good points here. I would compare it to fashion. Performance aside it is just a look. Brand new acid washed jeans made to look worn as compared to brand new dark blue stiff denim jeans. It's simply a preference in a look. Millions of reasons why each individual may find it appealing, or unappealing. It may remind them of something, or put them in touch with a time or place. Or maybe the just follow the trends. It may make someone else sick. Blond or brunette? Another subjective choice that an individual makes for themself. Let it go. If you don't like it don't buy it, and leave it for someone else who is into that.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Belated thanks for your kind words! :D

4. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Sorry my thanks for your compliments took so long to get out.

These kinds of discussions will probably never end, but that's OK. I think even the OP may be getting something out of this--at least some harmless attention--and most all of us need that to some degree. :D

Don't forget about those 2 cents! We may all need them sooner or later. :p

5. Hogan1951

Hogan1951

Feb 6, 2008
    Calgary
    This thread reminds me of leaving a gig and seeing some guy by the door trying to pick a fight with somebody - anybody - cuz he just wants to fight anybody that has a different opinion than his.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there is much truth to the comment that as wood ages the resonation improves. It's also true that a new (e.g.) J-bass MIA might be less expensive than a 69 Jazz but - whatever - it's your taste and your wallet.
    Just don't call my rig ugly.

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I wonder if you have the same questions about peoples taste in life partners...some people like heavy-set partners, some like the ultra skinny. Some like a partner that is older, some like them much younger. Some like a partner with a large chest, others don't... With all of the medical techniques at hand now, why not just create your own perfect mate?

The bottom line is everyone has different tastes, be it in partners, cars, basses...you name it.

I'm not sure why people actually care about what others like or don't like. I mean, if you are not putting out a product in the marketplace and need to appeal to the most people you can, why worry about these things?

I certainly am open to the discussion of these topics but I fail to understand what you hope to gain from it... Personally I think that you won't get anything at all. No answers, just more to personally ponder as you go through life.

Keep you mind open and good luck.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I enjoy the look of a bass that's "broken in". A bass like that reminds me of a pair of old jeans that just feel right. I like the looks of wear marks on a maple fingerboard. I dig the tuning keys that don't have a mirror finish on 'em. I don't have a reason for this. It just appeals to me.

That being said, I also like new basses. I tend to favor basses with a natural finish. I don't know why, I just do.

Joe

8. I never considered mojo to be a well defined word, is it? Seems like a silly work that could be used loosely to describe anything from groove to sweat to wear and tear.

I guess when it comes down to it: what do people find visually appealing about the vintage look? Why does a vintage instrument look good if it looks brand new? Isn't that sort of counter to the purpose of it being vintage??

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The intangible tends to escape you, doesn't it? This can be a stance or a weakness. It is not interesting any more for me. :cool:

10. My first post in this thread......

I have a '63 P and it's a nice, bass, but just that. My newer basses sound every bit as good and don't have the theft potential. There are many, many beautiful instruments that I would spend money on in preference to older (vintage) instruments. Better value, nicer condition, and they sound every bit as good.

Mojo? you can take all the "mojo" in the world, add $1, and it will buy you coffee in a cheap pancake house.

Like many things, the craze for "vintage" instruments is simply baby boomers like myself spending silly money trying to capture something they might have missed the first time around.

And I think I just created my SIG line....

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love mojo. Played a bass at a shop today that was worn to hell, modified, defretted (poorly). Loved it though. Cant explain why.

12. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    Never mind

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, go buy a well played '64 Precision, and I'll buy a brand new American Precision. We'll trade, because mine is obviously better, right?

14. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I honestly don't think this thread is going to get anywhere.

To the OP, you're basically trying to get other people to explain why they like what they like...and to be honest, I don't think it's something that can be described to someone who doesn't feel that way themselves. It's like trying to describe the color blue to a blind person, or a blind person trying to explain what they see (or don't see, depending on how you look at it) to a person with 20/20 vision.

Everybody sees things differently, and they like different things in what they see. Such is the nature of subjectivity, and it translates in terms of human preferences into what people describe as 'tastes,' for lack of a better word. What one person sees as the most gorgeous thing they've ever laid eyes on, another person could just as easily detest every last bit of it. They're both looking at the same physical object, but they see different things, in a sense.

It boils down to this, specifically: Some people like the look of vintage basses, others don't. It's not really easy (or possible, I would argue) to provide concrete, conclusive reasons as to why you like them, you just do.

It's not wrong to dislike vintage basses, any more than its wrong to like them. It's just a matter of taste. But to out and out say, in absolute terms, 'Vintage basses are ugly,' isn't right, for exactly the same reason; it's all subjective.

So, lets all say it together, shall we? ;)

Subjective!

15. I just wasted soooo much time reading all of this!

To Jim Carr,

What you wrote earlier was the most beautiful thing I have ever read about bass guitar.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

16. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Also remember that some of the specs have changed over the years. Finish has changed from nitro to poly. Does it make a difference. I think so, but thats only my opinion, but I'm nobody. An actual vintage bass is just that. It's vintage. Not better, but it has value because it is rare. If it is in pristine condition it is even better because it has more value. There is no magic, just a desire for something that not everyone can get. That makes it special. And if you owned that bass from the beginning, then it is priceless.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "mojo", as i have heard it used through the years, seems to imply a certain essence to the instrument that inspires the player to play beyond their perceived abilities.

18. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    to simplify the original question:

Which one looks better (imagine the new one with bridge and pickup cover)?

5823_1.

[​IMG]

19. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Everything else being equal, I like the old one, but I wouldn't turn down the new one. Just my taste, but hey I'd take a MILF over a 20 yr old too.

20. I thought that after the multiple bans that ensued from the great ERB Discussion/Argument people would know not to post these kinds of threads.