Why do Right Handed people outnumber Lefties?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gazman, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Why isn't left/right handed a 50/50 thing?

2. Internal organs are asymmetric. The brain is asymmetric. That's the way it is. Or google.

3. Right handed people are more likeable. That is not a hard and fast rule, just an observation.

4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Are you aware of the bias against left handed people? Bias against left-handed people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    When I first started grade school in 1949, it was still common practice to force left handed people to be right handed. My father, who was also left handed, went to the school and insisted I not be forced to be right handed. I play right handed because my aunt who gave me my first stringed instrument, a uke, said it was the proper way to play. I golf right handed because that was the only clubs available. Why I bat right handed, I don't know, but I do throw, catch, and kick left handed. But, I can scratch my ass or pick my nose with either hand.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  5. Truly ambidextrous.:)

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I prefer ambisinister.

Mr. Sound, shadowtippy and Gaolee like this.
  7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm technically right handed and play right handed, but bat left handed. I play ping-pong left handed. When I pick up a shovel or broom, I don't know which handed it is, because it switches back and forth all the time. Given a little practice, it wouldn't be too tough to write lefty and probably throw lefty. I pick up forks and spoons with whichever hand is nearest.

All this means is that I don't know right from left, so never, ever ask me for directions. I don't get lost very easily, but if you follow any directions I try to give, you will end up somewhere you didn't want to be.

8. Bigotry.

Plain and simple.

:)

powmetalbassist likes this.
  9. Because we are supposed to be right handed.
    It prevents people from bumping elbows with the person next to them while eating at a table.
    Bumping elbows is not natural and is wrong.

10. Stuff I do left handed: Write, throw a ball, hold a spoon. Stuff I do right handed: Play bass & guitars, hold knife and fork, hold my "third arm" :p But the feeling in the hands is that I'm left handed, I'm left footed and my left eye is also the dominant eye. My sister (not twin) is also left handed. Both parents are right handed. Crazy stuff, almost. :p

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Because right-handed is the "right" way! :D:D

No, seriously - it is just the way that humans are made with a bias towards the right side.

People can also be right or left eyed. What eye do you sight a gun with? Some people are "cross dominant" - right handed and left-eyed, or the opposite. If you are, you should be aware of this and take steps to work properly with your cross-dominance.

Mr. Sound likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

They were still doing this in the 60s. My dad went to a Catholic elementary school and the nuns were not about to have a boy writing with the Devil's hand. He is a left-handed person living like a right-handed one... his penmanship is atrocious.

I am left-handed and play righty. All my friends started playing guitar and when I picked up their instruments it didn't feel incorrect. I am so glad I learned to play right though, it's hard out there for a lefty.

13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Because almost all other mammals (that we know about) have a left and a right hand gene; and one or the other is turned on in a pretty even 50/50 split;resulting in a fairly even distribution. Homo Sapiens, for some reason as yet unexplained, has only the right-hand gene. So, none of us are genetically left handed, as other mammals are. There is compelling evidence that, in humans, it's mostly caused by various traumas that result in oxygen deprivation, before/during birth. In my case, I was the first born child, and my Mom's labor was hard and prolonged. But, it's not genetic...:cool:

14. Source?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm left-handed (for most things) and am intrigued by this idea.

15. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I'm a complete mess!

I write left handed, use a knife and fork RH but a spoon LH, cut (and butter) bread or saw wood with either, hammer or single handed axe RH. Use mouse RH but can use my left (with RH buttons).

Sight a gun and shoot RH but listen to the phone with my left ear (otherwise I don't take the info in so readily). Bat RH, use garden tools - fork, rake, hoe LH.

Edit - and play guitar RH, I didn't realise that you could get a LH guitar when I started playing.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  16. I thought right hand dominance was a Northern Hemisphere thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    blastoff99 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I write left handed but do nearly everything else right handed. Both my parents and my brother are left handed, although in Germany where my Dad grew up he was forced to write with his right hand.

To top off my oddness, I'm also a blue eyed redhead, which is an odd combination to begin with. Neither my parents or my brother share my eye or hair color.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For the same reason there is more matter than antimatter.

Old Garage-Bander and hbarcat like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021