1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does my treble pot have a wider, more obvious range and the other eq knobs are more subtle?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mr80htz, Apr 26, 2019.

1. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    I have a '72 Traynor YBA 1 Bass Master. I don't know a lick about amps, let alone tube amps, and I'm curious if something is wrong with the amp. It's old so things can happen over time. I just purchased it off Reverb. I can get the eq I want out of it but my other amp, an Ampeg B5R, has all 3 eq pots working with equally wide eq sweeps.
    Is this something an amp tech could fix? Does it need fixing?

I appreciate any of you knowledgeable TB folks chiming in.
    :)

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Human hearing is more sensitive to treble, so small differences may seem great.

Bass and Treble are often shelving eq’s which have a wide range — “everything below/above X”

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    EQ isn't designed the same from vendor to vendor. I'm pretty certain that Traynor and Ampeg have different EQ implementations.