1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why doesn't Fender offer a stack-knob model Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harper, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    As always, I'm sure the short answer is "money." Still, I'm surprised we haven't seen a stack-knob CV Squier POP up.

2. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I really like the dual stacked dials that come on the VM Jaguars, so I don't think it's money alone.

Doing 2 controls on a Jazz plate would allow the 3rd hole to be used for a killswitch, or overdrive, or even allow half the plate to be formed to allow the jack to come in on an angle...

3. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
  4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I own the AV 62 Jazz, and in my opinion EVERY Jazz should come equipped in a stacked knob formation.

I guess it would diminish the speciality of my Jazz - but to me, HANDS DOWN, the extra tone control are what set it worlds apart from any other standard Jazz.

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I think the parts (pots and knobs) necessary to do a vvtt setup on a Squire would be cost prohibitive. Also, and I have two stack knob Jazz basses, the vvtt setup is really more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I prefer that standard 3 knob setup.

6. As said the AV 62 has it, I own one -great bass and i will be psoting it for sale today.

They have the jaguar squier in stack knob as well.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I completely do not like the stack knob layout.
    The interactive nature of the two tone knobs effecting each other makes it really hard for me to quickly dial in different tones mid song, or even between songs.

I much prefer v/v/t, or better yet, volume, blend tone.

different strokes and all...

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    There's your answer , too many cooks ,so make a good soup base and let them add their own ingredients .

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  10. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    I know what you mean, Chef... v/v/t is always best when making changes on the fly, like when there's a little bass riff that you want to back off the neck pup just for a second.

But, if I want to do some fine tuning of the tone, and the song is of the set-it forget-it variety, then stack knobs are the way to go. I've got a half-dozen jazz basses, half with and half without.

To me, less isn't more... more is more.

11. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001

As soon as hit hit "enter" I started thinking that there was probably a higher end model with the stack-knobs.

12. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If its passive the two tone pots are redundant and interact with each other. If its active it's a whole other situation.

13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I could totally see how not being able to adjust tone on the fly could be an issue.

But if there is no need to adjust your tone on the fly as such, I still do prefer the tone option of the stacked knobs. It could just be my experience, but any Jazz that I've played after knowing my 62 seems to be lacking flavor.

Admittedly, it could be just that my 62 is a great bass in my opinion (which obviously could be contributed to wood selection/pups/bridge, etc.) but in the other Jazzes I've played, I find them lacking in tonal subtleties which I feel I can dial in with the stacked option. A standard V/V/T only lets you take the whole and adjust. The stacked lets you mix and match the best of both pups.

Indeed, different strokes....

I don't understand this statement.

How are the tone pots redundant in passive electronics? Being able to adjust the tone of each individual pickup is not redundant if they each effect how your overall tone sounds. Being able to pull off some of the brightness from the bridge pup's "honk" while maintaining the brightness on the neck pup's "beef" does not imply redundancy, but rather the contrary....

Am I not understanding something?

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yeah you are. You can't trim the highs on one PUP without affecting the other the way the VS '62 Jazz is wired. The resistors in the original stack-knob wiring helped deal with the inherent interaction, but also reduced output. Fender elected to do away with the resistors when they introduced the VS instruments in 1982 to avoid that problem.

John

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Volume/Blend/Tone will always be my favorite for ease of use.

16. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes you aren't understandin that in the traditional 62 jazz wiring schematic, the tone pots are redundant. If you have both volumes up, if you adjust one tone pot say for the neck, it also effects the bridges tone. There is no isolation between the pickups. There is a way to isolate them but it requires resistors which then also effects the tone. Do a search for 62 jazz wiring and you'll find more details. Line6man has explained it quite a bit on here.

17. Speaking of the 62 Jazz, I've seen photos of John Paul Jones' 62 Jazz and he has 3 knobs on his. What's up with that, is the current model inaccurate?

BTW, stacked knobs must not be that expensive since Fender puts them on the Squier VM Jaguar:

[​IMG]

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    That's very true but rolling back one tone control (for me always the rear) on a VT/VT configuration still gives a more subtle range of possibilities than you have with just one tone control.

Anyone ever wire a VVT with only the rear p.up running throught the tone pot?
    Hmm....the more I sit here thinking about it the more a Vol/Blend/rear p.up only Tone seems like what would work for me.