1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why is everyone selling their LDS cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AngusHasMoxie, Mar 30, 2013.

1. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    I'm picking one up, baring it exploding when I test it out tomorrow, so I wanted to do some research using the handy-dandy search feature. However, all I seem to come across, besides a mention here and there, are cabs that have been sold. Why is that? Is it just the tail end of the TB fad of LDS/fEARful cab designs or is there something else I should know?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Lots of mad science goes in with LDS cabs, and people dump'em after the honeymoon. Don makes a lot of excellent cabinets but he also has a lot of yahoos ask him to make crazy stuff.

3. To be fair Don of LDS is not affiliated with the fEARful design at all.

4. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    I like the sound of that, for my sake. Of course, I'm a recovered G.A.S. head, so this might be the equivalent of finding a bag of black tar and keeping it in my silverware drawer.

All I know is it's got the right speakers, made by a small operation (as a child of a small business owner, buying big brands has always left a bit of a taste in my mouth), and it's not some crazy 5x8" with a 10" and a rear mounted 21".

5. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    I suppose what I meant to say is the PA style hi-fi cabs. I know they aren't the same but I do see that LDS/fEARful combination used an awful lot

6. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I think people buy and dump a lot of gear, I don't think it's limited to LDS.

I've loaded/unloaded several cabs over the past few years, searching for my tone. An in store demo isn't enough for many, it takes me up to 6 months to decide if it's a keeper or not. Also, I have a hard time finding gear to test out in Boston, I would imagine a lot of people in rural areas buy before they try.

maybe people buy the fearful style cabs based on what they read, and realize they aren't for them?

I've sold a LDS cab because I realized I don't like ported cabs. But I never had Don build a fearful style cab. Just old school 10's.

I just received my LDS 810 sealed flatback clone :D.

7. There will always be people testing, buying, and selling gear for whatever reasons - but it seems to me, in general the boutique cabinets are still very much liked by their fans.

8. I would guess some of that sell off is to raise money to buy a CN212.

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1

10. It's only natural a few get traded around by TB members since he has a wide following on TB and TB has a gasoholic nature.

11. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    See Trace Elliot, SWR, Eden... lately Streamliner Epifani Bergantino AE212 crazes come & go as the latest & greatest.

Right now we are in the middle of Fearful, Bergantino CN & Baer must have cabs. People like me LOVE it... because we sit back & wait for people to dump em (Which always happens) & get em on the cheap! Nothing wrong with the gear but the hype machine around here is VERY strong.

Go on the New line of Bergantino cabs thread & see how many people have bought that cab on hype. So thats an ACTIVE craze

Now go to the amp classifieds & look up Streamliner... thats a DYING craze. Hey, I have a Streamliner & love it.

The hype machine convinces people the new gear can do everything better but in the end its just different

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    There is a mega thread here on LDS cabs where you can find all sorts of good info about them. I don't see any more LDS cabs in the claasifieds than I do other brands; in fact, I would guess you would see more of the others than LDS. Personally , I have had Don build me a couple of cabs, which I still use, and have no complaints about what so ever. I have also had other " boutique " cabs built for me that I no longer own. I seem to gravitate back to the LDS cabs. Excellent builds, imho. Of course, I did'nt ask Don to put 3 8's and 4 12's in one cab ! Don will pretty much build what you ask him too. What you want is what you will get.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

To be fair, this phenomenon isn't limited to LDS. There's been quite a few green boy cabs for sale recently.....relative to the small number out in the market. I'm currently selling an LDS cab, but there's no dissatisfaction with what Don built. Rather, I'm downsizing my rig to better fit my current needs. I still have an LDS-built fearful that staying with me.

14. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I bit.. and there is one amp for sale, so if i extrapolate based on your opinion then every item that has one ad is a dying craze then its all pretty much dead.. Eden, GK, Ashdown, Markbass, Ampeg, Aguilar.. all dead or dying crazes :D

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 The OP is experiencing what is called the 'vividness' phenomenon in the psychological literature (at least closely related to that phenomenon). One becomes interested in a brand (in this case LDS), and then looks through the classifieds for LDS cabs and sees quite a few because you are looking for LDS cabs in the classified! Same thing happens with all brands:)

That being said, RPSANDS point is also a good one. The LDS 'pure custom' business model (i.e., Don does not have any fixed designs.... every box is a 'start from the bottom up), results in those who like to 'try stuff out' to have their designs built quickly at a relatively low cost. Sometimes, people find out that their dream cab design isn't quite what they want.

16. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

It's a wave. This happens a lot around here. Part of it is that Don will build YOUR cabinet but if YOU have no idea how to design it, well you can figure out the rest.

I've had my share of Don's work. He makes a great cabinet. His tolex work is stunning.

It boils down to cost. You can buy a off the shelf box or have something custom done for the same or less!

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Lots of love for LDS here but many TBers must have the latest and greatest.

Bergantino is another good example of this... many TBers swear by them... But there are always a few for sale.

Also, the new Berg CN cabs are causing many TBers to shuffle gear to place an order.

Luckily I am happy with my Berg AE210s!

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Now, you're just doing that on purpose, aren't you? :bawl::D:bawl:

19. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    those were the answers I was hoping for... I can't wait until it's mine!

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    What's strange to me about this trend is that there is no specific Bergantino tone, IME. Great quality, yes, but the product line really has been diverse, from old-school punch to hi-fi/scooped and everywhere in between. Yet a lot of folks seem to have rotated through practically every cab Jim has made (OK, the NV line may be the exception, as it's more specialized/bigger).