1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is "Metal" constantly being bashed by "real" musicians?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RNV, May 19, 2011.

1. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I have been on this forum for a while now, and I can't understand the animosity towards metal. Sure, I love the jokes about the spikes and being mindless souls and whatnot, but to personally bash a genre and say that the music is talentless is ridiculous. I listen to several styles of music with metal, big band swing, ska, and rockabilly being my favorites. Now I admit being a much better drummer than bass player, but the question applies to both if not all instruments. I just would like to know what makes non metal bassist so much better than someone who plays metal? Is it the fact that you play other people's music several times a month to people who are at that bar regardless if your band is there vs. a different band? Do you like the fact that changing the arrangement to a song is switching from the album to live version?

I know it seems that I have gone on the attack. Perhaps. It just seems that the ones who bash and ruin the threads with legit questions about playing metal always seem to be in weekend cover/bar bands.

Its true that EVERY genre has it's steaming piles of dung, but I don't really care for any of The Doors hits. Should that mean I should hate the doors? I'm glad I look deeper into their catalog. I love that band.

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Personally, I find the image that metal tries to push is the first part that bothers me, although not to a huge degree. What bothers me most is when a song or album pushes out token metal that presents tried and stale riffs, obnoxious growling vocals about tired subjects and -ugh- a rapid-fire double bass drum from start to finish.

I've got a few metal bands in my library and whether or not they make it to the permanent list is if I can discern some sort of groove to it. Ex: I can put on a Meshuggah album and bob my head for all 24 minutes of the track.

If all they're trying to do is something fast and repetitive with little variation or experimentation then they probably won't make the cut. Put a little soul on it.

As QOTSA said, "give me soul or show me the door!"

I hate Metallica, but really dig Megadeth.

3. I think part of the problem is that a lot of what is now called "metal" has evolved into just playing loud and fast with no real substance. Many of today's "metal" bands have lead singers who just scream with no sense of melody. The guitar players, bass players and drummers just want to play as fast as possible. I enjoy older metal such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc. As for today's metal, I can do without it.

4. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Yeah, but Kiss and Alice started the dark imagery, yet you can walk into any bar on the weekend and hear Kiss and at least "18" by Cooper being covered by bands. The 80s glam was exactly as you described, and I love most glam bands, as was grunge, which I don't care for. Anytime a genre picks up popularity, the labels start to sign everyone who sounds like the current hot thing. It is the demise of all genres of music. Some just seem to split of into something different to survive, while other fizzle out.

P.S. Megadeth > Metallica

5. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    yeah i cant stand putting on a cd and hearing double kick constantly,it all seems too roll into one. Gotta have songs,metal and punk is the main genre i listen to.

6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I never got too far into metal, aside from a few core bands. Folks would have me listen to bands but they never caught on.

I somehow managed to work security at the Rockstar Mayhem Metal festival or whatever it was called back in 2009, right at the corner of the side-of-stage gate where the gui****s and drummers took the ...nice... looking women backstage for a few minutes and had their pathetic and sad boyfriends come asking if I'd seen them - I didn't care for more than two or three bands. I think just being there interacting with the crowds was more fun than the music, for me anyways.

For the Slayer set I got/had to stand in front of the gigant wall of subwoofers. I nearly threw up - thank God for ear protection. And who on in their right mind puts Slayer before Marilyn Manson? Manson was awful.

7. I dunno, metal is so much more diverse than it was 20 years ago, and yet you still have to dig to find the really good bands. There is some AMAZING music being made out there - DevilDriver, Mastodon, Silent Civilian, and Fear Factory all have relatively new albums that are just mind-blowing. And all four of those bands are "mainstream" metal! There are more bands that you have to dig a bit more to find, but are totally worth it. And metal can be anything from blastbeat insanity to wildly complex technical masterpieces to slow dirges. Metal can be Black Sabbath or Cynic or Cannibal Corpse, and they all play together nicely. So yeah, there's hate for certain types of metal, sure, but all of it? I would think the vast majority of TB can find something they like that could fall into the "metal" category.

That being said, I don't particularly care what the "majority" of TB likes or doesn't like. I think in this case, though, you're sorta picking a battle that's started on wrong terms. Ever buy a car, then realize all-of-a-suddden you're seeing that model of car everywhere? Maybe you're cueing in on the threads where people are bashing metal, but it's not like 90% of the site hates and comments on it, at least IMO.

:rollno:

I love metal. And I'm quite capable of playing the vast majority of what I hear, if I plug away at if for a while. And I've been in metal cover bands. So what makes you think you're better than a bassist in a "weekend cover/bar band?" You think Ryan Martinie or Troy Sanders or Alex Webster haven't played covers? You seem to have this fallacy of logic in thinking that the cover band crowd isn't capable of playing metal, and therefore hates on it. Could that be because you have a beef with the cover band folks, and need to justify it?

^ That's not really the point, but it does serve to illustrate - why is there so much hate for cover bands? What makes people assume that crappy, poorly-done blastbeat "original" (which are usually anything but) metal is "better" than a quality cover band?

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Because when many of us were "coming up" in music as musicians, Hair and Metal were the genres which spawned bands popping up in garages all over our towns...and we had to wade through the mire of gui****s who played at "eleven" and told us how to play our instruments day in and day out, which in those bands was often simply the root of their chord pumped at straight 8ths or 16ths with no deviation or syncopation.
    Many of these gui****s seemed to be totally insecure and if a bassist had any talent, and could create a run in say Dorian mode which complimented the chordal structure and melody of the song, the gui**** would often state (musically incorrectly for the record) "stick to the chord and play it straight!".
    It wasn't until I started making somewhat of a living playing other genres of music that allowed me to play MUSIC on my instrument that i could get any kind of thought or closure on this concept.
    I love classic metal BTW- Geezer Butler is not expected to just stick to the root note and not syncopate...just my .02...

9. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Could you imagine Geezer Butler strumming a root note with a pick????

WOW, that would have really improved Sabbath's Metal image.

10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    It is angry, agressive, passionate music, and it sounds best when played at high volume. It's mostly not very pretty, and in fact is mostly pretty abrasive. Those, and the fact that metal is seen (wrongly the vast majority of the time) as evil devil-worshipper music all conspire to give it a black mark in the eyes of the general population.

It is loud and distorted, so some musical people have a hard time picking out one musical element or another, and because they can't find it, they assume it doesn't exist. They thefore label it is incomplete, or amateurish, or musically immature, or whatever condescending label their arrogance has taught them. There are certainly more than a few metal bands that eschew melody a lot of the time, like the mighty Meshuggah, and even with their considerable talent, skill, and compositional genius, it sounds foreign and chaotic, so a lot of musical snobs write it off as immature.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am confused by the definitions. My "metal" seems to be different from others "metal" I guess.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Personally, I have a hard time taking metal seriously because its everywhere. By everywhere, I mean everybody that has played for 2 weeks is in a "metal band". Maybe its just a regional thing here, but its like a plague of metal musicians, and most of them are truly terrible.

Not to say there aren't some decent metal groups out there, I just think that they are very few and far between.

13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    You could say that about just about any genre of music.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    It would depend on personal taste, but yes. Yes I could.

15. How metal would metal be if everyone loved it? I'm not sure that anyone really enters that genre seeking musical legitimacy... even if there probably is a higher bar for entry when it comes to technical proficiency.

Besides, anyone can wank around on scales at 280+ BPM given enough time. Not everyone can write a good song, regardless of the genre.

16. bassplayerken

bassplayerken

Jul 18, 2010
    Jessup, MD
    I think that the bottom line is that no matter who bashes metal, those same people have probably played some sort of rift that has been done by a metal band. It is all based on blues anway, right?

17. I prefer music wherein rests are as important as notes. However, I don't bash metal. I just avoid and ignore it.

I understand why some (mostly males) in their teens and twenties like metal. That a subset of them never move on is somewhat mystifying (to me).

18. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Every once in a while someone will make a thread like this trying to defend metal, and exactly what has happened here happens every time. If you like metal (i'm in this boat too), you're best off just not trying to defend it on this forum. Some people just don't get it.

19. I like a lot of metal... Always have & probably always will. By no means do like it all and I probably dislike a majority of it. The metal that I do like still gets a majority of the play through my stereo & I don't see that changing much. It hasn't changed from my teens into my mid 30s, anyway.

20. For the same reasons that Hip Hop (with live instruments, not samples of others work..) gets bashed. They are both at extreme ends of the musical spectrum on the bell curve of musical tastes.