Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why the bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mummas, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Mummas

Mummas

Sep 9, 2005
    Alright so my brother is getting a normal electric guitar cause hes been playing quite a bit on my dad's guitar and has enjoyed playing it for the past few months or so, so i decided yer i may aswell come to the store with him.

Ive been playing my dads guitar a bit practicing scales and chords and all the beginner crap, now heres my problem, i hate buying something then getting bored of it and it ending up being a waste of money. Thats why before i started surfing i used old **** gear then became pretty decent and now use pretty good gear.

All my mates play standard electric guitar and are pretty damn good at it, now my bro is starting but noone plays bass so i was thinking i could learn bass. The problem is i dont have a bass guitar so i dont want to buy one then find out i hate it.

My question to you is why did you choose to play the bass guitar and not the standard electric guitar (*** are those guitars called?), please dont be totally biased. If you were able to give me the advantages and disadvantages of playing bass over normal that'd be sweet.

Cheers.

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    This topic has come up often, but I'll answer it anyway
    Several reasons I play the bass, in no particular order.

1) I liked the way it looked, honestly, I started on upright bass because I liked the way it looked.

2) Musical control. A good bassist exerts an incredible amount of musical control over a group especially in the area of tempo.

3) demand A good bass player, heck even a barely-not-crappy bass player will almost allways be able to find people to play with because there are so many guitarists and not enough bassists. If demand is really your reason though, be a drummer, a good drummer is nigh impossible to find.

4) I like the musical parts. This is the biggest reason, you have to like being the low parts of the music. I love being the musical foundation of whatever group I am playing in.

There you go.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My reasons:

1. I like the low end and I like holding it down

2. I like the "feel" of a bass - I play fingerstyle and slap, so both hands are constantly in contact with the strings. Probably why I don't play with a pick.

3. The bass interests me more than any other instrument. My ear automatically gravitates toward the bass in any song.

4. I dig a great groove

4. Mummas

Mummas

Sep 9, 2005
    Sorry!

Ill go through the billion threads looking for them now. :p

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Ah yes the sarcasam, little almost bassist, you definately belong here :D

Welcome, and at the risk of making you seem foolish, may I direct you to the handy dandy search function....

Seriously though, I hope you choose the bass. It is a great instrument.

6. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Why Bass?

* When I listen to music, I "hear" bass lines.
    * I love driving a groove.
    * I get a rush out of "feeling" DEEP bass lines.
    * Bass can express the melody OR harmony, drive the rhythm, be percussive, play as accompaniment, play as solo. In short, it can do whatever you can feel or imagine.
    * You can pick it.
    * You can finger it.
    * You can strum it.
    * You can chime it.
    * You can bow it.
    * You can slap it.
    * You can pop it.
    * You can tap it.
    * You can two hand attack it.

FWIW, I started on guitar and grew up with piano. The only thing I regret is the time spent that SHOULD have been on a bass! ;)

7. MEDIUMUS

MEDIUMUS

Sep 5, 2005
    I have just recently started playing bass, but it was always a priority for me. I have been drumming for 8 years now, and decided to learn the bass as well. I have always been gravitated to the rhythm side of music. The great thing about bass is it ties the rhythm and harmony together.

Don't just buy one because "nobody else plays one" though. I know a lot of people that bought a bass on those terms, and they never got serious about it, and eventually sold their gear. If you think you will enjoy it, buy one. :D

8. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Because even the deaf can FEEL a solid bass line. :D

Try doing that with a standard electric ;)

-J

9. neely

neely

Sep 5, 2005
    hm, i tried both bass and guitar and i like bass more because
    i like harmonies
    i like rhythm/groove
    i love to feel the bass..i mean not in my fingers, more in my belly ;), and i'm really attracted to the low tones
    and i also started playing bass because i thought it was good looking..i love the shape of a fender precision..and it looks better on a girl than a guitar, that was a decisive point when i started ;) (i was young)

10. I wanted to play drums more than anything. Parents wanted nothing to do with it so I tried guitars. I think the intial draw to rhythm instruments steered me to bass. Like others here, I HEAR bass lines. Heck, it's been so long, I honestly couldn't tell you exactly why I picked it.

And, there's plenty of work. It's great to play something that others just don't understand. They think it's remedial or easy when in fact the simplicity and precision are what makes it great.

I say, go play eruption and shut up. :D

11. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I was interested in playing guitar but was having difficulty getting my left hand and fingers to coordinate to form chords etc. A friend of mine suggested that I try bass and then eventually move into guitar which is exactly what I did.

I ended up loving the hell out of bass and turned out to be a fairly decent guitar player as well... but I will always feel more comfortable playing bass.

12. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    i'm a lead guitarist...

why did i pick up the bass? because it's just different and really fun...

i like that the harder you hit the strings- the better they sound. I'm not a "bassist" according to most of the descriptions that people pst around here (i guess the wrong personality or something?) but i just have FUN.

*shrug*

13. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    one reason i picked up the bass that no one else has mentioned...is cause you can actually feel it. go to a concert and your right in front of an amp you can feel that bass in your chest and it hurts. i felt that and i was like..thats what i want to play.

14. Because my dad said bagpipes were too expensive.

15. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Why the bass?
    Pure and simple, its all about the bottom. You dont build a house from the top down.

Rob

16. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    There are many reasons that I chose bass, but a few of the main ones are:

- The groove. In music, I (as well as most people) am always able to feel the groove. It's what I relate to the most.

- The 'feel' of the notes. With a guitar you are just hearing the notes, but with a bass you can really feel what you are playing.

- I like being in total contact with the strings. Picks just make me feel apart from the instrument.

- The techniques. Because one uses both hands for string control, there are many more techniques that can be applied to get different sounds.

Overall, I think people as a whole relate more to the low notes. We all (except for the few who don't 'hear' music) have that natural rhythm inside. There have actually been studies on such things. The bass lets us feel this rhythm, and express it openly.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why the bass?

Why not?

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I totally started bass cause a band needed a bass player. I was a beginner guitar player, but actually a good trombone player, so maybe I was already in with the rhythm section. I also did not need spotlight, so it all panned out. Very happy where I am at.

19. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    You play the bass because no matter what your ego driven guitar player friends tell you, the bass players get the best looking ladies. The bass is what makes them want to move and dance...you master this and you will never be alone.

:cool:

20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I initially starting playing bass out of "need". We had a core group of friends, established drummer, beginning guitarist, since I was the last guy to start I ended up with the bass because the need to start a band was strong.
    Bass is great because of all the reasons mentioned previously. Simply put bass fits my attitude and personality, I don't know "who made who" anymore but it's now who and what I am and it's all for the better.
    ******WARNING!!!!SERIOUS STEREOTYPING AHEAD!!!!**********
    Guitarists are a different breed mostly, a product of their invironment. Have you ever seen experiments where they place a huge populations of rats in a small area? They start fighting, eating and killing each other, they get skinny and aggressive, sort of like people living in overpopulated areas. Some thrive in this invironment, others do not. There is less competition and a stronger team spirit among bassists, we tend to be more laid back, yet are still afforded the chance to be aggressive in our playing. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.