1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter 2019 Build Off - the EUV

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ctmullins, Dec 22, 2018.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A really interesting build - I'm curious how the double, wide pegged Flying V design will function. The central peg on an upright allows for swivel, even if subtle. Two pegs will plant it and in a way that may prove awkward either seated or standing or both. Another issue is bow clearance. (body sides) The tapered V should allow full bow angle but it depends on where the bridge ends up. And lastly, pu poles will need to follow the arch of the fb to balance string output, so a flat pu won't work. I'm not sure if this has already been covered - sorry if I missed it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    SLivinghouse and ctmullins like this.
  2. So, I grabbed a caliper out of the garage and measured my balls for you. The largest measurement was on a
    Pirastro Passione sting at 7/16 of an inch. I also had some D'Addario Zyex and (I think) Corelli 370 strings and they were about 3/8."
    Steve

3. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Thanks Steve, that’s helpful! I did consider buying some cheap used strings from the DB Classifieds, but gosh - old used DB strings cost as much as a top-of-the-line new set of BG strings! What’s up with that? They’re essentially the same technology (excepting the gut and nylon strings), only longer... ;)

5. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Is swivel a thing? As I said earlier, I have zero experience playing any sort of DB-like thing. I assumed, though, that minimizing swivel would be beneficial.... :bookworm:

Yep. We shall see....

I considered a mag pickup, but right now I think I’m going to stick with piezo. All of the off-the-shelf mag pickups are for four-string, so I’d have to order custom or fabricate my own. Pretty sure I won’t have time for that during the actual build-off timeline!

6. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    5 lipsticks, oriented longways under the strings.

littlebooner, JIO and ctmullins like this.
  7. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    I may have missed this somewhere, but what are you doing about electronics for the piezo element(s)? A buffer?

I'm putting an Artec undersaddle element in my next build and I don't have a buffer picked out yet. In a state of analysis paralysis looking at all the options. All I really want is something to match impedance, and I'll put my own passive vol/tone after it.

8. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Schatten have their Mini Pre buffer for piezo pickups. Just a buffer with input and output so you can put any passive or active EQ afterward. Available direct but also see on E-Bay from vendors.
    Also available is a SB-2 piezo capable buffer/EQ on website www.shc-music.com. These are also available from some E-Bay vendors.
    These are two economical options. The other end of the scale is Richter Electronics with their multichannel piezo buffer for individual string pickups.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    At the risk of hijacking this thread... I want thumbwheel-style pots (to align with the edge of a soundhole) so the SB-2 is out since the pots are built into the PCBs. I've seen on other forum threads that the Schatten unit has a dramatic low frequency cutoff and isn't bass-appropriate (though I don't know how reliable that info is). I'm talking right now with an ebay vendor guitar_acquisition_syndrome to determine if any of his products will work, he does have one model (with a condenser mic in addition to the piezo, would be interesting) that has thumbwheel controls, otherwise I'd be happy to add my own thumbwheels after a basic buffer unit that has no controls. It looks like he sells the shc-music units since the part numbers and descriptions are all similar, so the unit I'm talking to him about may be one of theirs anyways.

10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I don’t think I said, because I’ve been debating with myself around a number of different options. But as of today, I’m pretty sure it’ll be a PZP-1 Piezo Buffer | Cafe Walter Audio into a standard two-band active EQ (like an EMG BTS).

Will_White likes this.
  11. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada

12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It will be determined with use - it's not like 'swivel' is necessary but it factors in. Never seen a double bass or cello with anything but a single post. Who knows, you might be onto something.
    That could work for sure.

ctmullins likes this.
  13. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That's what I used on my EUB 2 years ago, it's a good buffer.

ctmullins likes this.
  14. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Started on the pegbox.

EUV_0280.

EUV_0279.

15. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Subbed. I am into this!

ctmullins likes this.
  16. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Do you have tuning pegs picked out yet? Are there "special" pegs for that style of headstock or do you just use "normal" electric bass tuners turned sideways?

Also I don't think I've said this yet but I love the cherry you're using.

17. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Years ago I bought some Grover Titan tuners. They’re massive, and finely machined, and gorgeous. When I (quickly) realized that they were far too heavy to use on a BG, I stashed them away, saving them for the EUB build I knew I wanted to eventually do. So yes, just normal tuners mounted sideways.

Thanks! I paid a decent amount for it, and I’m really looking forward to seeing the grain under a finish. :hyper:

Dadagoboi likes this.
  18. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I can cut you a deal on some lightly used DB tuners (4 string) :D

19. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Doubling the thickness on the pegbox.

EUV_0282.

EUV_0283.

Also gluing a wedge patch into the router snafu.

EUV_0281.

BritFunk, Beej, JIO and 5 others like this.
  20. This is such a cool build, I might have to steal this idea.. :)
    Always wanted an EUB

ctmullins likes this.