Winter Buildoff 2022: Still A Diva

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TerribleTim68, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Razor blade then sandpaper? Dremel mini cutoff wheel then sandpaper?

StereoPlayer and TerribleTim68 like this.
  2. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Flush cut trim saw.
    I have both of these. I'd pick the DeWalt style for that. The HF saw leaves little marks from the side of the kerf.
    Or a razor blade. But a nice flush cut makes it super easy with less chance of a slip.
    DWHT20541_1.jpg 021270028ToolsMaterials3-thumb-16x9.jpg

Mickey666 and TerribleTim68 like this.
  3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Are you talking trimming the top/bottom so they're flush to the original piece, or something else?

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I'd have used it as a horizontal boring drill for this job, methinks. Lay the work down flat on the table and drill into the side of it, flatways... One of the "tricks" that make it better than the average drill press, IMHO.

Mickey666 and TerribleTim68 like this.
  5. Yeah, just trimming them off flush to the fretboard blank so I can start radiusing it.

Mickey666 likes this.
  6. You know, I thought about it.

T_Bone_TL and Mickey666 like this.
  7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I'd probably use a file :)

Reedt2000 and TerribleTim68 like this.
  8. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Or an Iwasaki style carving rasp - the flat ones are awesome at truing up small parts like this, kind of like a combo of a file and a plane. That's what I use for truing up ears glued on a headstock which is pretty much the same operation from the sounds of it.

Bent77 likes this.
  9. I just need to trim them off in a manner that doesn't break them off, which could possibly break down into the slot. Then I can go about putting a radius on this thing and see how jacked up my markers are gonna look.

Mickey666 likes this.
  10. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    You could probably just use the fret saw and just leave a hair sticking up. The fret saw should make a fine enough cut that it won't tear them up or take much pressure to cut them.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That kind of tearout/shredding nightmare is why I've more or less given up on template routing stuff like bodies and headstocks. When it goes wrong it's pretty violent. I've settled on the Robosander for all that kind of work. It's slow and tedious, but no risk of destruction, shrapnel, or tearout, all of which has happened to me. Plus it can be chucked into a cordless drill as a mini-drum sander, which hadn't occurred to me until Mapleglo did it.

Beej, thisSNsucks, mapleglo and 2 others like this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ha! Same experience with the HF "flush cut" saw which isn't... flush. I used to have a superb one made by Veritas that finally wore out. I should probably suck it up and get another one.

13. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I could swear I had at least 2-3 pics somewhere. I checked the phone again and 2 laptops and this is the only other one I could find.
    nfixtdt3ozeigcanqltw~2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  14. Flying B

Flying B

Apr 29, 2018
    How much are you trying to rout off? Not to teach you how to suck eggs etc but I would draw round your template and then bandsaw (or jigsaw) as close to the line as you dare before sticking your template on and routing. Ideally you are taking off less than 1mm with the router.

Beej and Mickey666 like this.
  15. Yeah, I get all that. I'm just not that good at it. :roflmao: I get as close to the line as I feel comfortable doing, which probably leaves 4 to 5 mm left for the router. I know it's more than advised, but you guys that zip your bandsaw all over the place within 1mm of the line clearly have more talent and a batter bandsaw than me. I'm just not on that level.

Beej, Mickey666 and Bent77 like this.
  16. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    I feel you. Not having a band saw has provided me with expert level of doing all of the things all of the hard ways so far
    :woot:

2groggy, TerribleTim68 and Mickey666 like this.
  17. Still Fretting Over This -
    So I trimmed the position markers the best I could. I tried a multitude of different methods. The fret saw just mangled them. The razor knife wasn't much better. I had the most luck with a pair of scissors, trimming them close, and then disk sanding the rest down enough that I could then get a block sander on it and then eventually my #4 hand plane. It's subtle, which was what I wanted -
    20220103_194039_HDR.jpg

20220103_194007_HDR.jpg

I left the twelfth fret marker a little longer -
    20220103_194015_HDR.jpg

Buuuut.......
    Yeah, so this was why I was asking so many questions about how best to trim these off. the fret saw just absolutely mangled them, they are so fragile that they just break into a million little shards. So now I've got a couple that the very tips broke off down below the surface, and I'm left with this -
    20220103_194102_HDR.jpg

I really don't know how to fix that. :meh:
    I'm not sure if it goes too deep to just try to radius this board off below that point or not. Maybe it'll go away in radiusing, maybe it won't. I'm not even sure how to tell.

I do know that I'll be building some sort of radius jig like @dwizum has, as soon as I can get some free time to do that. I like that design a lot, I just need to build it for my big DeWalt, because it's the only router I have. I could really use a smaller handheld trim router. :cautious:

postalflunkie, dwizum and Mickey666 like this.
  18. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The markers look good other than the tear out. I think I'd clean the missing spots out with an exacto knife, make maple dust and glue slurry, then spackle the voids.

19. That's a good idea. Thanks. :cool:

Reedt2000 and Mickey666 like this.
  20. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Oops, this was not a good recommendation. I know you didn't use it, but I was actually thinking you were trying to get the profile of the sides of the neck blank to match the sides of the existing fretboard. Duh. :rollno:

For the thin fret marker strips, I probably would have carefully trimmed them close with an exacto and then sanded them down to final dimensions. :(

TerribleTim68 and Reedt2000 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022