Winter Buildoff 2022: Still A Diva

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TerribleTim68, Dec 22, 2021.

1. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Same, same and same.
    For the round over, I ended up deciding to do thick tops with a thinner core and reveals, kinda like MB basses does, so I got out of the round over decision issue. But I slid myself right into a worse problem of slight round overs AND chamfers and then transitions where they meet.
    I did notice on the foam body that the belly carve didn't need to be as big. I think it's the shape and the way the upper horn flows and swoops down.
    I'm pretty sure I found a couple decent back pics that show the contours, but they're on the laptop at work, I think. The one you posted is probably one of them. I have this one on my phone. You can probably mess with it in Photoshop or something to see it better.
    rhzpz5au7wyvmcftgagz.jpg

2. Awesome. Very helpful! :cool:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    The way the belly carve meets the heel carve and results in a fine point along the upper bout is really very nice looking.

Mickey666 likes this.
  4. It’s also interesting that the strap button is on the back. I probably wouldn’t have noticed that.

5. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    That's another one that I'm trying to figure out. The upper horn ends at the 12th fret. Putting on back moves it back a little. Does that affect balance?
    Should I make the horn an inch longer and put the button on back? Does the strap sit better with it on back? Is it even worth it?
    The Diva causes much stress and confusion.

Mickey666 and TerribleTim68 like this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I think the 12th fret strap button is a general guide, not the guaranteed balance point for every shape. The overall weight distribution and the location of the other button factor in, though I suspect on a Diva it's moved to the back of the horn for aesthetic reasons.

7. Slidlow

Slidlow The Human CNC Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Mine have the top horn extending to the 14th only with no perceptible balance issues. The Diva looks similar in balance design so I don't think having the strap at the back will cause you concern. (@RichterScale where is that frequency control:oops:)

Attached Files:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I'll be installing it soon

Attached Files:

Slidlow and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. Yeah, I'm in the "they moved it to the back for aesthetics" camp. I don't know that I'm gonna do that. I'll put it in the list of things I need to think about and we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Mickey666, RichterScale and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I built one bass in which I positioned the strap button on the back of the upper horn. Hated it, it needed a special strap lock (installed backward), and it never sat in a case correctly. Never did it again, and the bass was disassembled and thrown in the trash.

11. Solid advice @mapleglo , I had not considered the case issue. I’m going on the end of the horn like a normal sane person. :thumbsup:

Reedt2000, mapleglo and Mickey666 like this.
  12. Measure Twice? Three Times? -
    So yeah, that's a problem. My fretboard blank is about an inch too narrow for this plan -
    20220102_132007.jpg

20220102_132013.jpg

Hmm.... Time to think up something brilliant, and quick. :meh:

Mickey666 likes this.
  13. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Match up little cut offs as closely as possible with the grain and glue on little wings.

Mickey666 and TerribleTim68 like this.
  14. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Then delete that message and no one will know.

Mickey666, 5tring and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao:

dwizum and Mickey666 like this.
  16. Lessons In Hiding Your Mistakes -
    I think everyone will agree that building bass guitars (or any guitar for that matter) is basically an exercise in hiding all the parts where you messed up. This fretboard is one of them. As @RichterScale mentioned, the best plan here is to just find some scrap offcuts that the grain will sort of match up the best and glue them on. This is why you do not throw away any tiny little scrap until you are done with the build. I found some offcuts that looked like they might work, ran the ol' #5 over the edges to get them mating up as best I could, threw some glue at it and in the clamps it went -
    20220102_142518.jpg

Okay, let's let that sit while I deal with other things.

It's A Fretless, Buuut...... -
    I'm not a fretless player, never even tried one. So I'm gonna need some help here in the old "where the heck is that note again?" department. Let's add some position markers, shall we? So, funny story. A couple years ago I purchased these boxes of laminate scraps from a guy who was otherwise gonna toss them. -
    20220102_135001.jpg

20220102_135026.jpg

20220102_135051.jpg

I think I gave him $10 for all this or something like that. I know it wasn't much, and at the time my wife said "Why? What are you gonna do with it?" I don't know, but I feel like it might come in handy at some point. It's been sitting on the top shelf ever since, aside from using a small bit of it for some turning blanks I glued up with stripes in them and one Celtic knot blank I glued up as well. But hey, what a perfect opportunity to use some of it here! Oh, and check out all that flame maple looking stuff! The box was marked curly maple, but it looks like flame to me! We should definitely use that! :smug:
    So, the first step is to tape my fretboard print out on this fretboard blank and then we have our positions located. This is why when I made the drawing, I put frets on the drawing. Then we can take the little saw and cut some angled slots that cover the side and a bit of the front -
    20220102_143245.jpg

After cutting the slots, we need laminates to go in there. Yes, the slots are not that clean, I'm aware. I'm hoping that the laminates and glue will hide any issues and that the major areas of break out will basically go away as I radius the board. :meh:
    Obligatory shot of all the little laminates in a pile, along with a glue bottle. Let's do this! -
    20220102_145915.jpg

20220102_151012.jpg

Probably way too much glue, judging by the amount of drips on my floor, but whatever. :cautious:
    I'll let this dry until tomorrow before I try to figure out how best to trim them before we start radiusing the board.

Now, Where Were We? -
    So it took me a couple solid hours to work on the position markers. That other fretboard section should be ready to work with now, right? The glue bottle says "ready to unclamp in half an hour" and I've seen people say that you can work with it after a couple hours, we should be good to go, right?
    Let's grab our little template we made earlier (yes, I like templates), grab a few supplies and do "The Trick" -
    20220102_152059.jpg

Then we can throw the little Amana pattern bit in the router table and flush trim this thing, right? Right? :cautious: :eyebrow:
    I guess not. My router table basically said "Yeah no, I don't think so bruh!" -
    20220102_152501.jpg

:wideyed: :jawdrop: :eek: :thumbsdown: :banghead: :mad: :rage:

What The Actual...... -
    So yeah, that was fun. Mostly I'm just happy I could retrieve all the...parts. :meh:
    Not cool man, not cool. I thought we were good to go, I even asked. I don't know what the deal was, I probably fed it the wrong direction or something. Anyways, let's give it a good slathering of glue, press it all back together, wrap some tape around it and try to recover from this one -
    20220102_153137.jpg

I'm gonna just walk away at this point. I'll come back tomorrow and untape it and see what we've got. I set out this morning thinking "I'd like to get the fretboard sorted today", clearly that didn't happen. But looking back, I did get a lot done. It just all went very, very slowly. that's enough fun for one day. :meh:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Sounds like you had the day I had a couple days ago, when everything went to [email protected] on my fret install. So... I Bravely Fled my build. Sometimes that's the smartest course of action to avoid compounding the problem.

18. Yeah, I need to be happy with how quickly this thing came together through the rough cut stages and into a somewhat passable BSO. We're kind of down to the details, which do move slower.

Bent77 and Mickey666 like this.
  19. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Now that you quoted it he can't even edit in your reply. Half of the challenge of the WBO is hiding the evidence of such things.

Beej, RichterScale and TerribleTim68 like this.
  20. So now that I got all those slivers of wood glued in here, what's the best method of trimming them so it doesn't just break out?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022