1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wireless ban

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JonnyAngle, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    So it appears that there are some laws changing on wireless mics. http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/

So, if I use an illegal wireless unit, won't it will only broadcast a few hundred feet? Would that really even cause a disturbance? Namely the sennheiser ew172 g2.

2. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I'll double check, I've got a friend who is an EMT supervisor. If they are using that band on calls and at events etc it would interfere with day to day activites of fire, police and EMTs. A few hundred feet would cover a good portion of a block.

3. Hi.

Didn't read the article, but generally, if there's a wide band analog disturbance in a frequency band(s) reserved for digital RF traffic, the digital is garbled beyond "repair".

For RFI capable and/or sensitive equipment, there has to be some guidelines and rules for general safety, even if 99% of the equipment won't be affected, one way or another.

Regards
    Sam

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    It's a FEDERAL law. Let us know how it goes, once you get caught.

5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

does this cover televangelists brodcasting AM signals to tube amps?

6. Kinda sux, why didn’t they give us any vouchers?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pedulla Club #45

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Change the setting on your mic. The ban covers 698-806 MHz, but your mic has a range of 518-866 MHz. Stay out of the ban zone and you're fine. A singer I play with has/had one. She used to use it all the time but I haven't seen it in a while. I think she said she broke something or lost an important part or something like that.

8. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    My particular unit operates in the 740-775 Mhz band.

Sennheriser is offering an $80 rebate if you trade in your old system.

Shure is offering $40.

Both are in the form of a mail in rebate, and you have to mail in your old system. Folks in the UK, Canada, etc are going to be getting some great deals on wireless units!

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    They've been talking about this for at least 3 years now.

10. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    What's especially irritating is that public safety is touted as the primary reason for the ban when in reality the majority of the 700Mhz band will be used for commercial wireless providers and their rapidly expanding 4G networks.

11. Would a X2 Xdr 95 fall anywhere into that category??

12. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    No it does not.

13. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
  14. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Ha! :cool:

I would presume that IF the AM broadcast were from a properly licensed station then your tube amp has to allow the interference. :meh:

15. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
  16. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    In the UK the Government has kept certain Analouge freqs. for public sectors areas such as police, fire, ambulance, etc. But with the switch to Digital it seems they can sell all Analouge Freqs. and it will not be illegal to use them, but you do now need a licence from who ever owns the rights to that freq.

We have many cases where equipment falls in to the "you know need a licence" to use it, and that applies if even you plan to use it once for ten minutes. Again it is another tier of legislation enforceable in law that will be introduced.:)

This was the situation the M.U. was trying to clarify for members, i have heard nothing new to say that is not the case.

17. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    This movement with the frequencies has been in the works for a while. Then they delayed it for a few months even. I had a Shure "Guitarist" wireless unit that was great and had to retire it for no other reason than this change. It was explained to me as "When some ambulance gets bass over the radio rather than a doctor - they will track you down and they can shut you down for the night and fine you". That was enough!

I bought the Line6 X2 (Do get the rack unit!) as they own the frequencies in it. That is why you can only have a few X2s in a band though. It is also one of the few units that does not shelve at 50 HZ (goes down to 10).

18. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Actually, they don't own the frequencies between 902-928Mhz, they are part of the ISM 900Mhz band. The same area that 900Mhz cordless phones use (and the 33cm amateur band).

19. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    This is the point, if say a manufacturer builds a systems that works in a licensed wave band ,then is it up to manufacturer to own the licence for their equipment to operate in these bandwidths or is it the end user. With mobile phones, the wavebands went up for action and they bided for them, so it was the manufacturer that paid this as it is in there interest to do so.

20. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    In the US I believe its the responsibility of the equipement owner to maintain a license to operate any equipment that is in excess of Part 15 rules.