1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless IEM

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Auguste, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    After reading numerous posts here I have decided to go with IEMs.

What do you recommend to get for a wireless IEMs?

I recently got a wireless system for my bass so I would like to be totally wireless.

Thanks

2. Shure PSM 200 are the most common pro class

3. GENRLEE

GENRLEE

Jul 16, 2012
    I use a Sennheiser freeport 720. Works great! Can go out into the audience and play without any cutting out. Have actually went over 150 feet away from the transmitter without any problems. Not sure how far I could've gone but I could've gone further.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wouldn't call the shure 200 "pro"; i use the 400, and it's pretty much "OK".

5. I use the AS-1100 system, but as with most systems you will need to upgrade the earbuds to have really good sound through them.

Peace,
    Greg

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    We use a Shure system... not sure the number.

The belt packs take a 9v battery and I get about 8 hours out of a battery which for us is barely two shows. My only issue with our system is that the beltpacks have no indicator of how much battery life you have left, and when the battery life drops to a certain point the whole thing just turns off... which has happened to me in the middle of a song before and isn't fun.

7. +1 to a Shure system. Also it is really important to get decent in-ears with a good, comfortable seal. IEM can take some getting used to, but for me at least they have made me a better player because I can always hear EVERYTHING perfectly. Every show sounds great to me (and I hope the sound guy does his job so it sounds good FOH too).

I'm pretty lucky though because everyone in my band has gone IEM and we all run to our drummer's rig so he controls the overall live mix. The really cool thing is that we can then record our live shows in separate tracks (since we all send him a feed anyway) and mix them later.

8. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    We use the Carvin system. The receiver/transmitter is solid but you will need to upgrade the earbuds. Uses 2xAA batteries and has an indicator. 6 hrs average battery life. It's stereo/mono, has a limiter and a high boost function among other things. Great bang for buck. For bass get Westone dual driver (min) or Alien Ear Triple driver buds with molded earpieces and you will be set.

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    BTW, you will LOVE wireless IEM.

It's so nice to be able to go anywhere on the stage (or even out in the house) and not have your monitor mix change at all. For example, to get a reprieve from your lead guitarist's way-too-loud arena stack, or to get away from that drummer with bad gas, or to flirt with that hottie at the opposite end of the stage.

10. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    Thanks everyone :hyper:

I just made a list of three units based upon your suggestions and reviewing the specs.

Gave the list to wifey and asked her to consider these for an upcoming special event. If she decides on getting me something else then I will go shopping myself.

THANKS every one.

JAYWA . . . some very good reasons that I had not thought of for getting a set of IEMs :D

11. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I use the Audio-Technica M3. Nice rig.

12. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I have tried seferal sets........two words of advice......
    1. You definitely get what you pay for here!!!!!!
    2. Buy Alien Ears custom fit earbuds with at least dual drivers.

If you aren't playing venues and just playing small places save your money! A good set of custom fit earbuds will run you $400+ alone! And DO NOT GET ENTRY LEVEL stuff.........you will realize how much yu have wasted your money.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just save you all the mistakes and BS I went through......good luck!

13. ptybass

ptybass

Aug 4, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    My advice, I play small to medium venues, and a Shure PMS 400 is ok, no less you will loose signal or have to much interference and get at least a used In ear like Utimate Ears Fi 10 (excellent but a little big) it has three way drivers, you can hear from top to bottom without too much coloration or a Shure E4, no less. I always use a small mixer were I route the bass signal, the signal from the house or monitor mixer with a little bit of every thing and some times I add one or two microphones to capture stage sound to get extra air in my In ear mix connected to the Shure PMS-400. Whit a nice mix you are in heaven, like listening to an ipod with your bass in first row.

14. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    Thanks

The lower end (not bragging) of my three choices is a bit better than the Shure PMS 400 and the upper end is rather expensive, more than my Fender Jazz . . . kind of hoping she gets me the middle or upper range of the three I suggested . . . she is usually not cheap when she gets gifts for special occassions

I will let you know what I receive . . . again thanks for the recommendations and alerts/warnings

15. I'd bring up tons of cheeseball options - Psm is kind if the gigging standard

16. ggc

ggc

Jan 13, 2009
    My band has been using the Carvin system for about a year now for shows and rehersals and they have been great!

We bring our own mixer to shows and give everything to Front of House via mic splitters and DI boxes. This way, everyone gets their own mix and the sound guy can do whatever he wants.

In addition to being able to hear ourselves way better than we ever could with wedges, our hearing is much better protected, and their is no stress at a show about sound check and everyone getting a monitor mix that works for them...Not to mention, there is very little stage volume, which greatly improves the Front of House mix.

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah, if you're gonna go IEM then you really need to go all-in and go wireless, IMHO.

My church uses IEMs but it's wired Aviom units and it's a real pain to be tethered to that console thingy.

18. Hook your wireless to the aviom

19. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sennheiser if you can afford it, AT M3 if you cannot.

20. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Here's a small warning to those considering or using the Carvin system. A couple rehearsals ago, my battery box kept falling out of the bottom of my body pack. I grabbed a rubber band and used that to hold it together until after practice when I could take a good look at it. One of the plastic clips that holds it in had broken. Talking to Carvin Cust Serv (very good by the way), I found out this was a weakness on these units. Carvin is backordered on this clip and could not tell me when it would come in. They did enter an order for me and they will notify me when it arrives. When it does, I plan to buy half a dozen or so just have them around for the rest of the band if/when another one breaks. In the meantime, I'm stuck with my ugly rubber band around the thing. Oh well.