1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by lpittman, Mar 15, 2013.

1. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    What are some good wireless setups to look at? I am playing a P-Bass through a Shuttle 9.2/212T.

2. kevbethphx

kevbethphx

Dec 10, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    I have a Line 6 G30 and love it!

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Look up Line 6 and their G50 series of wireless units on here and all over. I have been using the G50 for nearly two years. Incredible sound, as good as a 10' cable or less ANYWHERE you stand (within the transmitter range which goes from 100' to 300' depending on the model). Other units WILL NOT sound as good as this unit does. Even high priced units can barely compete audio wise with the G Series from Line 6. That's in my experience....

4. gah...why do people even bother to ask about this? read the million an one other posts to find out that everyone is going to recommend line 6...and shoot down every other brand...

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    G50.

6. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Big Daws - stupid thing is I remembered to search after I made the post. Bah. My bad.

Thanks for the recommendations. I went to the local shop and picked up a G50. Not a huge fan of the mini-xlr/TA4f but prefer the metal casing over the G30.

First thing I did was remove the straight connector and put on a 90. Much better.

Wicked unit.

Luke

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Line 6 G50, Eneloop rechargeables, a Shure WA304 cable(TAF to angle 1/4").
    After hundreds of shows and a few HARD unintentional unpluggings, the TAF plastic part needs replacing so I've duct taped that in with black tape for now. I'll deal with the "brain surgery on a hamster" jack replacement when we have a couple of weeks off.
    A long thread here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f203/line-6-relay-g-50-review-question-657652/

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I actually like the stupid little jack better than a 1/4" for jack for this application. I also bought the Shure 90 degree cable.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    "Digital" is the key to wireless
    All the line 6 are digital

No companding, no squelch, interference is not a problem.
    Latency is not an issue with digital.

Wireless is getting crowded though, both digital and analog.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Owned one, tried several, all rubbish. Tried a Line 6 G30 and there's no going back. I stuck with the 30 over the 50 for the 1/4"plug and the price. Only downside is it's plastic but mine lives on my pedalboard.

11. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Trying now to decide if I should stick with the G50 at the $424 price tag, or go down to the G30 at $299. Is the metal casing and the apparent additional 100 ft of range worth the $124?

The shop I rent-to-own'd the G50 at said they'll apply my credit to the G30 seeing as the G50 is still in "new" condition if I want to.

I like the idea of the 1/4" plugin, don't necessarily like the plastic casing, and don't really need the "apparent" extra 100 feet of rang.

Hrmm.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    The extra hundred was worth it to me.

13. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Why do you prefer the "stupid little jack" over the 1/4" ?

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Line 6 G30, or G50 if you need more range.

I have had zero problems in small to medium clubs and occasional outdoor gigs with my G30.

15. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +30..(or 50). ;)

these are absoulutly awesome.
    i think..1. some folks are afraid of line 6 name...and 2. people associate wireless with "sure..or senhiesser (sp?) ".

I feel bad for the folks that stick to a name..just because its a name.
    Let your ears be the judge..not your eyes.

16. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Spend the extra dough and get the G50...2 years running now with it and it has NEVER failed me. I have upgraded to a custom cord for the pack but these units are 100% legit and worth the money.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Because the stupid little jack locks nicely into place.

18. personally i did. i compared the products exactly without any emphasis on the $$$ that i were to pay.

however when i was looking to buy my wireless the line6 product was garbage and over priced, and seriously lacking in any features.

i worked for a dealer of shure and sennheiser products and so naturally for the price of the line 6 unit i tried a the time, and the price i could purchase the sennheiser unit i purchased for, features and build quality, it was a no brainer. and i haven't looked back since and i do not regret ever buying it.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, that's an opinion that most of us don't agree with...

There is absolutely NOTHING that ANY wireless unit could do for me above and beyond what my XDR-95 has done for the last 4 or 5 years...

- georgestrings

20. and thats why its an opinion lol :p