1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless System for Bass Question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andythsd, Apr 16, 2009.

1. andythsd

andythsd

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey guys, I have a question. I'm looking to buy a wireless system for my bass. Yes, I've gone the cheap way 5 years ago bought an AKG and laughed at wireless for years. After finally finding the right cables (digiflex). I now need to make that step to a wireless system. I've looked at a few by Sennheisser and Shure and Samson. Is their a system more geared towards bass amps? What would you guys recommend as far as reliability, and sound quality go? I'm still playing clubs, so the range won't be a problem on any higher end wireless.

2. I have read some stuff on the X2 here....I have similar questions....how well made is it, etc?

3. bassofbob

bassofbob

Sep 15, 2007
    reston, va
    I bought the rack mount x2 last week and it seems pretty well put together. There is still a noticeable difference between the sound of wireless and the sound plugged. The things that I notice through my rig is a loss of punch and low end.

Im not saying that this is a bad unit, there are a ton of things that I love about it.

The huge problem that I have with wireless systems is that stupid cable from the transmitter to the bass always breaks on me. This one seems to be a lot stronger and the connections are made really well.

hope that helps

4. I have the X2 XDS-Plus and it sounds great. I made a better cable for it as the one that comes with it is crap. After doing that my guitarist and i could not tell the differance between it and plugging straight in...

5. Hey BassofBob, are you still using the cable that came with it? If so i would suggest buying one from Bayou cables, or if you are handy with a soldering iron, going to redco.om and buying the parts and making and new one with the Hi-fi wiring. You will be shocked how much better it sounds. When i first got mine, i hooked it up and was less than impressed, almost took it back, but after getting a different cable (bass to transmitter) all i can say is ...wow...

6. bassman515, what is the range on the X2? I know it says something crazy, but just curious if you had walked outside and walked around....I am really wanting to walk around venues during sound check, etc...

7. Ive got the x2 xds 95. Had it for well over a year. Sounds unreal (upgrading cable from bass to unit is a must). range is pretty good. i once walked out of the venue up the stairs to the carpark and i was still playin. some line of sight issues which i think the newer ones will be much better at. definately doesn't lose bottom end like most systems do. Even some of the quite expensive analogue systems seem to have a degree of low end roll off

8. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    I have the cheapest X2 model (XDS-95). It sounds great and works great, I've been able to get quite a bit of range out of it. The downsides is that it's all plastic, though it seems to be study plastic at least. The clip for the transmitter pack broke off the first day, but I just got around that by duct taping the pack to my strap. I like that it's really easy to use and I never have to worry about it... it just works and it sounds as good as when I use cables.

Digital wireless is the only way to go for bass to avoid losing some low end.

9. is it worth upgrading from the stomp box version of the X2 to the rackmount version?

10. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I had a sennheiser that was really nice. I'm kind of glad I sold it with the change in bandwidth when I did.

Looking to buy another one. will probably go with another senn. from NSL.

11. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    Thats up to you, I didn't find the little extra frequency range and transmission range to be worth the extra money.

12. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    I presume the X2 you're talking about is the Line 6 X2 right?

I'm trying to find out if this is available in the UK. Am not having much success on the internet searches I've done so far.

It could be that the frequencies it operates at conflict with the Emergency Services Frequencies used in the UK and therefore is not allowed over here?

:meh:

13. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  14. I've been using the X2 for a couple of years now:

Buy a replacement cable immediately upon purchase - the original ones are worthless;

Watch out for the clip system - it seems to fall off if you move around at all.

Aside from these, the thing is excellent.

15. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I've had my X2 stomp for about a year now and I'm not going back to direct.Aside from the flimsy attachment point on the transmitter? I've had no problems with it. I did change out the straght cable end at the bass,to a right angel and I do eat 9volt batteries like mad, but it's a solid performer,worth the price. One note run the reciever on a power supply as it runs through easily twice as many 9volts as the trans.I get at least 2-3 full nights out of a battery in the trans.