Wireless systems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jul 23, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I know this probably doesnt belong here, but I wasn't sure which forum this should be posted in, but I figured I'd get the best responce over here. Anyway I am in the need of a good wireless system. Any suggestions. Not really sure how much these things go for, but i need a good one that can hold up gig after gig. I appreciate the help, thanks in advance!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep...this'll be moved by the mods, but to answer your question, I have an AKG UHF Diversity Guitarbug system. I bought it off eBay for $255 and love it. It reproduces my low B faithfully, no droputs and no interference from other wireless systems in our band (we have 4 others). AKG makes great gear and I would recommend the "bug" over the fanny pack anyday!! Also, it's really important to go with UHF Diversity over VHF to minimize interference and dropouts

They are very handy when you want to check how your mix sounds from the stage, but the coolest thing about these things is walking off stage and playing your solo from the parking lot, bathroom, behind the bar....and of course, from the inside of a ring of dancing honey's! :D
  3. In my experience, and after owning several wireless units (never had the AKG "bug", but had the Samson one) the Sennheiser EW172 G2 is the best I've ever used by far in every aspest, shy of slight advantage in convenience of a bug. They are a bit pricey, but IMO you definitely get what you pay for!

The unit is all steel and is rack-mountable, has tons of channels to choose from, can auto tune to lock into the best channel based on where you are (I use this feature at every venue we play just to minimize possible interference). You can adjust squelch, input signal, output signal, you can mute the transmitter, the signal self mutes if you unplug the unit while on, etc., etc., etc. The transmitter is what was called a "fanny pack" design, but it can easily be mounted via the stainless stell clip to a strap, or, as I do, put it in my left pocket, and route the cord through my belt loops around to the input. Between sets I just unplug, and keep the plug in my right pocket until it's needed again. Simplicity.

I think it's unfair to compare the 2 units. The Sennheiser is more of a pro unit, while the AKG is a beginners intro to wireless, so to speak.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :hyper:
  4. I have used a Nady Wireless 3-D (VHF) for 15 years (probably 1,000 gigs) in every live situation from outdoor festival stages to small bars and in that time I encountered 1 problem...I picked up the announcer at a nearby titty bar. "...And now for your pleasure, the lovely and talented LINDA!" Thankfully, I had a cable with me!
  5. BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    +1 for the senn G2

I agree with Eric 110%, I have several high-end cables (two-rock crystal clear, fender pro-tone, lava cables and lastly, yes... monster) and I just recently purchased the senn 100G2 wireless setup and it is pure heaven!

It is so sensitive and clear that you will not know you arent plugged in. The transmitter and reciver are all metal, built with typical senn. quality. the price can be negotiated too as I got mine from GC for $350 when the tag said $449...

drop-out isnt even in this things vocabulary. setup menu takes about 5 minutes to learn, other than that, you can plug it in and go without touching a button if you dont feel like reading directions. I have used senn. gear for years in my video business and all their stuff rocks. It was the hands-down choice of the GC guys too.

anyway, hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    beginner's intro to wireless???

I can think of several units that would fit into this category....and the AKG is not one of them. It may not be at this particular Sennheiser level...but @ roughly half the price and negligible performance dropoff...
  7. im not sure about bug systems, ive always thought the pack was better, but, whatever does the job
  8. Just fyi, if you think you might be posting in the wrong forum but decide to do it anyway; you probably don't want to say that! ;) hahaha It gets some people around here a bit worked up, and openly admiting that you are breaking the posting rules dosen't give you a whole lot of leeway.
  9. + everything I own on the Sennheiser!!!!!! It's the only way to go!
  10. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Shure wireless systems are supposted be good to. When I go wireless im going with a Shure SLX. It seems like it has alot of cool features that the other systems mentioned dont.
  11. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    +1 on all the Sennheiser comments made already. Mine has worked great too.
  12. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    This statement is thrown around alot but I never found it more suited than with wireless systems........You get what you pay for. Period.
    I tried out every unit I could get my hands on and was about to give up. I tried a Shure ULXP4 unit and was sold. Great frequency response and sounded as close to a cord as I could hope (never did get to try out an X-Wire though). It was more expensive than I had hoped so I waited and scored one off of a TalkBass member for a good price.
    Try every unit you can before you make a purchase and try them out side by side if you can........you'll be surprised how bad some of them sound.
  13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one of the new PGX wireless systems and it's great. Much quieter than the Audio Technica stuff I've tried, never any interference, excellent sound quality - every bit as good as an expensive Sennheiser system I tried, and setup is ridiculously easy and reliable.

PLUS: True diversity, great transmission/reception, great sound quality, crazy easy to use, frequency agile, ultra quiet squelch when you mute or power off the belt pack, indicator light on belt pack indicates battery level, Shure quality.

MINUS: Have to order the rack kit separately, no user interface into the guts of the system for setting tweakers.
  14. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I have a UHF Diveristy Guitar bug. No offence, it's not the greatest. I have a few drop outs every now and then. And every once and a while i get this nasty fuzz. And consistantly there's a small bit of static, but it all goes away when the rest of the band comes into the picture. It's great for the price, and I will continue to use it. Only thing you may wana do, is Duck tape the bug to your guitar, really helps, since i've been tapin, i haven't had a single drop out.
  15. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    What a coincidence. I was going to post a thread about wireless systems as well, inquiring the TB populace about them. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread since I'd like to know what others say as well.

I'd also like to hear what people think are good wireless systems in a variety of price points. That Sennheiser seems like the holy grail, but that price tag puts it out of reach for a healthy portion of people who may only have $200- $300 to spend on gear.
  16. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Since I bought my Sennheiser EW 172, I haven't looked back.........at no time has it ever let me down! Nary a dropout or interference of any kind, and I'm sure it's due to the true diversity design, and has been worth every penny and then some.
  17. Sennheiser EW172 G2 is the way to go. I have one and it's super quite, the cable is securely mounted into the transmitter and will never come out unlike my guitar players Shure. Nothing worse than losing sound in the middle of a song. I had a Samson Airline bug and ended up stepping on it, it was very noisey and a piece of junk.
  18. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    Samson bug - UHF, small base unit which can be run off mains (with DC converter) or off a 9 volt battery :bassist:
  19. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I have the Shure ULXP4 and I cannot tell any difference whatsoever from using a good cable. This unit was one of the very few I found that go as low as 31hz and it was quite expensive. I tried a few other ones and reached the conclusion that you get what you pay for.

20. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    ive tried ALOT of difference units. GC hates me because ive bought every wireless they've ever had on their shelves and returned it before the 30 days. IMO stick to a cord or wait till youve become a touring pro and can afford the 3000.00 units they use. i opened up for the black crowes years ago and the sound guy let me use one of their units and it was the only wireless that didnt water down my tone, i asked the soundguy what kind it was cause it was covered in duct tape and he told me it was the kind that they only sell to the stars and cost 4000.00. and that was back in like 1993. the one that i did try that probably was the closest sounding to a cord was a AKG wms400. close but like i said... i use a cord