1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wireless???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by grumpyjfc, Sep 20, 2008.

1. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Does anybody have any experience with wireless instrument systems? I'm looking at the Line 6 xdr95 digital systems, any opinions would be helpful!

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Yes I have.

Very usefull if you have to move around alot but all systems will degrade your sound , even broadcast ( $$$$ ) ones.
    A cable will always sound better.

I sold mine after one gig.

3. Dogsferatu

Dogsferatu

May 22, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have the xds95 (stompbox) version. I love it. I used the day after I got it at a live outdoor gig and the sound was fantastic, no dropouts no pops, no static or interference.
    Since what i got was the lower end of the Line 6 series, I'm sure the rackmount is just a good. I highly recommend it and stand by most Line 6 products.

now i'm just waiting for my endorsement deal!

4. keepclam

keepclam

Jan 30, 2006
    Yardley, PA
    I've got the X2 (now Line6) xds95. I've had it for almost two years. It rules. I don't notice any degradation of the tone & the range is righteous. Many people complain about the battery life of the transmitter - I haven't had any problems playing 3 to 4 hour gigs with it, but I do put in a fresh battery before every show. I guess I should consider investing in some rechargeables... I would heartily recommend this line of wireless systems.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With all due respect to fokof, the X2 sounds identical to a cable in every way. Best wireless ever.

EDIT: Mine is the XDS95, for those of you scoring.

6. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm sort of a freak about my tone and love the Line 6 (X2) XDS Plus. It's the 1/2 single rack space version of stompbox unit. I borrowed a friend's for a gig where I needed to move around alot and loved it so much I went right out and bought one. Very reasonably priced, too.

The only drawback is that I go through one 9 volt battery every 5 sets, or so.

I recorded samples playing with a cable and then with the X2 and it may even (gulp) have sounded better. :bag:

-b

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the XDS95 and am thinking of upgrading to the XDS PRO.

The one feature the PRO has that I would really like is the TX battery indication on the RX. I have the TX strapped behind me, I can't see the battery level.

The extra range would be nice too. I once was checking sound by walking around the even outdoors and I lost the signal when the crowd got between me and the RX. The RX was on top of the amp. But that was probably 50 feet. It was really cool walking around off the stage :D

8. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    First off, the wireless threads have been consolidated into the miscellaneous section so please check there where you'll find all sorts of grand information. That being said, the X2 systems are really great. I've got the rack mount version and really like it. Unless you're going to spend thousands of dollars on the suprer pro systems, you're not going to get anything better than this.

9. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1000

Never had any issues with mine. Can't tell the difference between the X2 and a cable. Best wireless on the market IMO.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I just got my Sennheiser unit and I love it. I was steered away from the Line6 unit because it's still technology in the works. With the new FCC rules selling off the 700hrz bands, this will actually open more space for the rest of us on analog.

I would reccomend one, Sure or Sennheiser. Line 6 is probably OK, but the people I have just been checking w/ don't trust it yet.

Just 1 opinion.

Edit:
    I worded that wrong. With everything going digital, that's what will open up our analog freqs. Be careful when you buy one because I have heard the FCC is selling off the 700mhz bands. This could cause a disruption if you have one in that freq. range.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed 100% - I have the XDR-95, and like it very much...

- georgestrings

12. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Still not quite. ;)

ATSC transmissions still use frequencies close to the old NTSC channels. Don't think that DTV means that the airwaves are gonna be clear...far from it!

The auction of the 700MHz bands is a bit of worry, but most major mic manufacturers have seen this problem coming. Sennheiser, for example, has made their "C-band" wireless units available only by special order for a couple of years now.

-Mark

13. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Just wrote this is another thread, but here we go again...

The X2 XDS95 is terrible. Bumps lows and highs, specially highs. It doesn't sound like a cable at all. The cheap A/D D/A converters are doing something funny there.

It definitely colors the sound, when I take it off and connect my bass to the cable that was connecting the receiver to the amp, it sounds completely different.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, I guess there's a first for everything. Totally the opposite reaction that I and everyone I know has when they plug into it, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

15. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I am very used to the sound of my quality active bass connected through a 6' high quality cable to my amp. WHen I take this cable from my bass and plug in the XDS in it, I hear a noticeable bump in lows and highs.
    Even they (manufacturer) say in some places that they don't use the full range out of the tip of TRS (in the default config) because some people would be surprised with the full-range that cables would be taking of. Well, I still use that same cable to connect the unit to the amp... Should sound exactly the same, not "better"!

16. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am a little surprised at the high bump. With the stock cable, the X2 is supposed to have a small attenuation of the highs to mimic a 15' cable.

But to be honest, I play a P bass with flats through a tweeterless system.... I would not notice a boost to the highs :p

17. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Try in a system with a tweeter (not a horn, a tweeter)... Harsh...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've played on some giant state of the art PA's and never heard any harshness. Just sayin'...

19. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    below you can see 3 graphs:
    -Fodera cable against original audio (totally flat, amazing)
    -XDS95 agains original audio (lower about 3db all across up to around 2K, then starts getting close to 0db all the way up to 10K, where it gets really crazy and adds A LOT of stuff. You really need equipment that can reproduce > 10Khz to hear it.
    -XDS95 "full range" against original audio (similar to the above but more linear all the way up to 10 K, where it gets crazy again).

I suspect there is a limitation above around 10K and this creates audio artifacts. Maybe the higher end models don't behave like this.

xds95.

20. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Very nicely done! :cool:

I really need to get a good audio interface so I can do tests like that.

Weird that there is a slight gain at 8k rather than a slight loss. And the 10k stuff looks wild. You think that would *really* affect guitar players.

Do you have the original X2 version or the Line 6 version? Not that I think there is any difference, just wondering.