Wires rattling inside the cavity

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by valencia0919, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I recently purchased Yamaha TRBX504, which is a fantastic bass (thinking out switching preamp or pickups though). I've been trying to setup this bass to state-of-art condition, but I hear some rattling noise inside the cavity. The cavity cover is a cheap, thin plastic, and I think it might be the cause of this. Although the cavity is packed with wires, there is some room for rattling. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Is it rattling now?
    If so, can you hear the rattling through the amp?

Basic rule: An electric guitar is one half of a musical instrument. If it doesn't rattle through the amp it doesn't rattle.

Solving the problem will involve removing the cover and investigating. Find the offending component and stabilize it.

If you are going to change out the electronics on an already fantastic bass it is moot point. Nothing further need be done.

3. No, it doesn't sound through the amp. But it annoys me. Would applying a foam to shielded cover kill the purpose of the shielding?
    Changing electronics is just my preference. I'm not the biggest fan of the preamp here, as the bass frequency feels bit "narrow" or "shallow".

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Foam to cover? Maybe, but is an extra step. Foam packed into the cavity, probably. It may be as simple as wrapping the harness with electrical tape.

Isolate the problem and correct it. Having data rules. Diagnosing the problem yourself is rewarding.

Not so fantastic if you wish to change out the electronics. Maybe a fantastic carcass?

5. Well, I guess fantastic as the shape, color, neck and everything else except the preamp. But that's for a future debate.
    I think I'll try to find a foam to stick it on the back of cavity cover.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Does it rattle with the cover off? If so you're spinning your wheels.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021