1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Delano MM with Push Pull Pot for Phase Switching

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Black Bart, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    Here's the situation: I bought a Delano 4-conductor MM pickup to install in my Modulus with a single pickup. I was going to just wire it straight to the existing pot in parallel, but decided why not add a push pull pot to switch between series (knob down) and parallel (knob up) to add a little versatility to the set up without drilling through the finish for a switch.

I could use some help with this in that, 1.) I'm not experienced with humbucker wiring and 2.) Delano uses some unique coloring for their wiring and I'm having difficulty finding diagrams online to follow.

Below is a diagram that I have put together to show how the pickup would look installed. I have added labels for the lugs and wires and would appreciate some instructions on how to go about wiring the pickup to the push pull pot. (Ex. green goes to A and then to #3, etc.) I know that #3 is ground and #1 is hot, #2 goes to the Aguilar OBP-3. Thanks for any help in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Are you trying to do series/parallel or phase inversion?

3. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    Series (knob down)/parallel (pulled) is what I'm looking to do please.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products

Attached Files:

5. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010

Yes, but that particular reference also includes directions for splitting the coils using a mini toggle switch (on/on/on), I'm using a push pull pot (on/on) no third option.

There is an example for a mini toggle (on/on) but that only describes series/single coil.

What I am asking for is using (on/on) series/parallel.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The image I posted is series/parallel when used on a DPDT switch. Wire it up just like that. Just match it up to your diagram. Top is top.

You wire a DPDT on-on and on-on-on switch the same way, but the on-on-on switch splits the coils when it's int he middle.

7. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    Thank you, for clarifying and explaining how it works, makes much more sense now.

But just so I'm clear, using my diagram as an example:
    Green to A bridge to #3
    Brown to D bridge to #1 (Ground)
    Yellow to E and bridge to C
    White to B
    Shield to Ground

Yes?

8. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Yep, that's it.

9. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    Great! Thanks so much to all who lent a hand in helping me understand this better.