1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Difference hot to jack versus tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whil57, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    Well in the end, the only thing i got to work properly was Fralins mod-and honestly, wasnt worth the effort. Bass sounds different even with the cap (.1uf) that was original in it. And any of the values less than .1- didnt make a hell of a difference.
    Probably yank it after next rehearsal, see how that goes. And put the original 250 back in. Also, i was using the new CTS pot that has a board and not lugs. No pop what so ever. Bass Two-Caps-Mod.

2. That double pole scheme will not give the "failsafe" advantage that Old Garage-Bander mentioned. In fact, it doubles the risk of failure. If anything, solder a jumper between terminals A, B, and C.

3. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    My result with the single pole trials were a fail. One try had one cap working and the other not, one try had neither cap working, and one i somehow grounded myself to silence. But it matters not if i take it back out any way. But it is silent.

4. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    Well, some lessons learned. If you are going to put in two caps, make sure the bass is naturally bright sounding, because on a dark sounding bass, a small to regular value cap does nothing. (Took to a rehearsal and everyone complained about my tone anyway). Now what did work nice was moving the push pull to the neck pick up, (Musicman style pup) and wired that into a parallel/series switch. That produced way more tonal variation than even the tone pot on its own would do.