1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wizzy 10 mod kit

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by arseniotall, Mar 24, 2009.

1. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    First off. EA's customer service is SWIFT. Second. I had an issue with some buzzing in my wizzy10. They promptly asked me for my address to send me a "mod kit". Has anyone had this sent to them before? Just wondering what this is. Other than the buzz I cant believe how focused the low end is in this speaker. Its like a HPF without the HPF. lol.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I think that will be different baffling ...something about Mids.

Aj

3. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    i dont think that is it at all. I didnt tell them I had a problem with the mids.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I had an issue with the grill rattling at several frequencies, always low notes. I wrote to them about it, and several days later got a package in the mail with some dampening felt and instructions to install it, which took about 10 minutes. No problems since.

5. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    wanted to update you on the Wizzy 10 update kit. We are taking some time to listen to some different mods to the baffle to see if we can make something that maximizes the sound and also is a very easy DIY install. We are trying out a few different baffles of different density. Hope to have this done in the next week or two

Mike

7. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Are there any plans to update new Wizzys coming out to a new baffle system?

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    All the new production has the new material in them. EA came down here (they are also in NJ) a couple weeks ago and updated the dozen we had in stock.

9. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    impressions?

10. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've posted twice in the other thread wondering what's happening with the mod kit.

11. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Hi Bob - would a Wizzy 10 that I purchased new from Gollihur Music in 8/2008 have the new baffle material or the old?

Have you noticed any difference in the sound with the new material?

Cheers,

Jeff

12. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    Last August is several months before the change. I have not had the opportunity to play one with the new material in a position to check it out, and don't have an original one to A/B with the updated ones. I suspect the effect will be subtle, but we'll have to ask EA for specifics if you want to go beyond what was already posted by Mike in the thread at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527165 where he also volunteers his assistance in having the mod done or obtaining the new fiberglass for a DIY. I liked the Wizzy 10 fine as it was, and if is now "better", I'll take their word for it until I have an occasion to gig and analyze it.

13. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Thanks Bob! Hopefully Mike will get back to us in that other thread.

Hoping to try it out on mine when they have the update available.

Cheers,

Jeff

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
  15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Will installing the kit make a noticeable difference in the sound of the Wizzy 10?

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

16. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Mike said "the mod is not a radical change, it smooths out the transition from bass through the mids."

If it wasn't noticeable it would kind of be a waste of money, why else would someone do this?

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    It is noticeable but subtle. It is not going to change the Wizzy 10 into an NL410. It will retain the same basic character, yet be a bit smoother from the lows to the mids. By doing this, the perception of too much of a midrange will be nullified to some degree

We created the mod based on the wonderful response we received from both the earlier and later Wizzys and the concern a relatively few had with those within the serial numbers noted.

We have also had many people who dig the sound of those Wizzy 10's and have decided against any modifications.

I wouldn't make the change just for changes sake. Each person's taste is different and we, at EA, are trying to accommodate as many as possible.

Thanks
    Mike