1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wolf Note Eliminators

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Anyone used these? Curious to see if they actually work!

Thanks

2. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks, very useful!
    PS - I must learn how to better use the search button.

3. Anton Avis

Anton Avis

Dec 13, 2016
    I recently purchased one and it works really well. That said i would be careful when buying one for i bought one to go on my E string but when i got home i found it didn't fit. I'd buy one- they're great.

4. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I just got my GK 200MB back from the shop. It's great to have it back. It works fine except for the A and Ab on the G and D strings where I get a hollow thump sound with little sustain. I don't notice any problem with the open A or the Ab on the E string.
    My question isn't about the amp, but if this is possibly a wolf tone problem. I've read about them but never had one that I can recall.
    If it is a wolf tone, can I do something other than going for the high end eliminator mentioned in this thread?
    Thanks

5. Could be. Start removing variables from your signal chain until you find the culprit.

6. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    I have a rather old copper Gage Realist and a guitar cord to the amp.
    I do have a MXR 10 band graphic equalizer, but I don't know if it would be any use with my upright.
    I rarely used it with my Fender years ago.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. What did the shop do to the amp? New speaker surround?

8. If it's an old Realist, it might have been damaged by the long permanent pressure.
    Or it can be the bass itself.

Do you have a bass guitar or a keyboard to check the amp?

9. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    They replaced pots and and other parts. Speaker and surround is fine.

10. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Good idea. Thanks. I'll check out how it sounds with my Fender and Ibanez. If they sound good, I'll know it's the bass.
    When I play the A on the G string I get the thump, but I know noticed it's like an echo: duh-dit (like two 16th notes) with the second note quieter than the first.
    I don't notice this with the bass unplugged from the amp.

11. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Well, I tried my newly refretted Fender on the GK and it plays great, both the amp and the BG. So, the echo must be From the upright bass itself. I usually dig in pretty hard ( Brown and Vinegar influences) I notice if I play with a lighter touch the sound is not as noticeable. I'll check it out next Monday with the 16 piece band.
    I can only guess it is a wolf tone or some kind of weird sympathetic resonance. Is there a cheaper way to try first before I look into the device on this thread? Thanks again.

12. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I've been chasing an Ab wolf tone for some time. A wire tailpiece helped as did a wolf tone eliminator placed on the A after lengths. I recently put on a new bridge and for some time that eliminated the WT. I made the new bridge slightly taller to reduce the amount of adjustment/space. I would like to try a non adjustable bridge. I also adjusted my sound post which also reduced the WF. It appears that even slight adjustments in the tension (sound post/bridge) and weight of the bass effect the WT

13. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
  14. Bass_Cadet

Bass_Cadet Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2001
    They are a common, simple way to reduce wolf tones. Some people do think they dampen the sound. The Wolf Terminator mentioned above could be a better solution overall but it costs a lot more and is stuck on the top of the bass with adhesive.

I think wolf tones mostly occur on better quality fully carved instruments. Using lighter or different gauge strings may also shift the tone around. Best would be to take the instrument to a luthier.

15. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok thanks. I will try one out. For 10 bucks you know it. You see them used by cello and violin players all the time so I guess they aren't too bad for bass either.
    And yes, I don't like the other eliminator because you have to stuck it on your bass. It also doesn't look nice.

16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    gerry grable likes this.
  17. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
  18. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    I couldn't decide which one to order so I went to my barn and found a couple of small u-shaped clamps for use on stranded cable, two different weights in my what-not box. They install quickly with a 5/16 nutdriver. The smaller one worked for me.
    I don't know how to send pics in this thing. They cost about a buck at any hardware store.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Kristian likes this.