1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wood tools fearful build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Jan 4, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    so after years of tinkering and assorted projects, i've decided the next one is probably gonna be a 12/6. i've never used any plans per say, so with all the info and yous guys available i figure i've got a real shot at making it well. qustion is this-- i have a table saw, jig saw and drills, and can use them well, but no router. can it be done?

2. rad bassman

rad bassman

Jun 12, 2011
    south wales
    simple answer, yes.
    if your going fEARful i would recommend going herefEARful

3. Router not needed, but patience and good control of jigsaw should get you through just fine. Table saw setup would be the thing I would focus on to make sure everything is square and/or parallel. And a bunch of clamps, glue, screws, beer, etc.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If you have a brad nailer you could probably get away with needing fewer clamps if you're into pinning and screwing.

5. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Table saw and jigsaw are really all you need for cutting the wood/driver/jackplate/handle cutouts. If you don't have a compressor and brad nailer, clamps and a cordless drill will work just fine too. The only thing you'd be missing the router for would be rounding over the edges of the cab and that's an aesthetic call, not a functional necessity.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Circular saw and a jigsaw, and several 24" clamps at minimum. I prefer brad nails over clamps myself though, so a brad nailer is good.

Roundover can be accomplished with a belt sander and patience.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Or if no router just go on CL and hire the services of a furniture/cabinet maker with the tools. Wouldnt cost more than $35.

Or just rent one.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A table saw and beer are two things that definitely DON'T go together!

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    You're right. A table saw, some wine and classical music is more like it

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most wood shops will rip all your panels for you for less than a buck a cut.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1 just get a shop to cut the panels.

Nobody should buy a tablesaw to build cabinets.
    Just ask my Half brother :)

Tracksaws like the DeWalt are miles safer, cut any size panel, and store away in a flash.

12. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    He said he already has a table saw...

13. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Cold, Daring. No flies on me. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    If you're short on clamps and don't have a brad nailer drywall/ grabber type screws and a pilot / countersink bit will work. Remove them when the PL has set (they don't add any strength to the PL) and fill the holes (a bit of extra work). An alternative with smaller holes to fill, use finish nails. Clip the head off one, chuck it up in your drill and drill all the pilot holes with it. If you aren't rounding over, when the glue is fill cured, just set them and fill. If you are rounding, just set them a little deeper.

For the jig saw, you can make a trammel out of a scrap or thin plywood or whatever. Drill a big enough hole for the blade plus a little deflection and screw it to the base of the saw. For the pivot pin (nail, screw whatever), locate it half the diameter (radius) of the circle you are cutting 90° from the outside of the blade. practice on scrap. If you have a wood rasp, you can cut slightly on the small side and enlarge as needed. As long as your hole isn't larger than the driver, it won't show. Again, practice on scrap for best results. Go slow, use a fresh blade.

14. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Considering we're talking about tablesaws, exactly how did you come to have a half brother?? Enquiring minds want to know....

15. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Aw come on, he's in Kentucky......Usually it's something a lot harder than beer. He's dropped it down to just beer while operating power tools.:bag:

I kid.....Don't flame me for humor:D

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, router can make some things easier but you don't need one by any means. I give my edges a little roundover with a rasp. If you want a bigger radius, set your saw at a 45, shave the edge off and smooth it with coarse sandpaper.

I use some clamps I have to hold things straight while run little #6 or #8 screws in, then take them off and use on the next piece. Yes, you can go back and remove all the screws and fill but I consider that a bunch of extra work for nothing. Just sink them a little and leave them in there, it only adds like 2 lbs....big deal. Woodfiller over them if you're doing a duratex or paint finish.

17. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    For the record I built a 12/6 with PL Premium, a drill, and a jigsaw. (and beer) I had a circular saw but my blade was shot and I didn't want to run to the hardware store to buy a new one. (because the beer) The cab turned out OK, not really pretty but functional. I figured after my practice cab I would built another one with proper tools if I liked it. I did build another cab, just a 12/sub. Still play my 1st cab, minor imperfections and all.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The thread is "wood tools fearful build"

It just for anybody else who thinks they need a tablesaw to make cabs.