1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wooden Ashtray (Pre-Build Questions)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DLemos, May 8, 2016.

1. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    So I would like to make an ashtray out of wood...

Are there any dye methods I could use that would not cause harm- say a cigar was left on it, or some ashes contained burning embers.

Would a certain type of wood be better than the others?

2. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Petrified wood would work well.

Munjibunga and DLemos like this.
  3. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Never heard of that, just looked it up. The prices are way too much haha, talk about money going up in smoke!

4. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    It does look very interesting, however.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My first CO in the Corps had an old stand ashtray in his office with a bowl made of wood. It looked like walnut and was butt ugly with burn scars.

Much more common was figured wood bowls carved to cradle a glass ashtray with felt on the bottom. Kinda like a very fancy ashtray coaster.

DLemos likes this.
  6. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    I thought of making a tobacco pipe out of wood, which would hold a glass candle holder(?) for the tobacco- but I have yet to figure out how to do that hahah.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm kinda thinking that putting burning things into a wood bowl is not the best idea. Cigarettes have some kind of chemical that keeps them burning. If you get char, that's the best outcome. Just saying.

Smoking pipes made from wood typically get "broken in" with a layer of ash and char that untreated tobacco leave behind.

DLemos likes this.
  8. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Hmm... Well it would mostly be used for pipe tobacco ashes- maybe a cigar or some cigarettes once, if not twice a year.

When you say untreated, do you mean unflavored as well? I believe that is the only way the pipe tobacco is altered. I also have reason to believe the nicotine may have been removed from the pipe tobacco?

9. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Yeah, I guess you do have a point- wood tends to burn. And a burning astray is one step closer to a burning house. I guess I can resort to glass.

10. Yep. Gunpowder. The rings that are barely visible on the white part of a cigarette is gunpowder. A few years ago, cigarette makers were mandated to use less, as well as additional chemicals, to cause cigarettes to put themselves out if unattended.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    DLemos likes this.
  11. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Interesting, a chemical to keep it burning, and a chemical to extinguish- all in one product. Is the chemical set to extinguish on the filter, or is it contained with the tobacco?

12. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    I have noticed they can become cool to the touch before reaching the filter.

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Funny you would mention that. When i was a kid it was "common knowledge" that the way to make a dog agressive was to mix gunpowder in it's food. I never knew anyone who did this and my great grandad, who raised and trained coon hounds, rabbit dogs, and deer dogs as part of his livelyhood said it was a crock; but all the expert dog trainers on the playground at recess swore by it.

Maybe that's why smokers are generally so mad all the time? :D

DLemos likes this.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is BS. The paper may contain potassium nitrate (saltpeter) for that purpose but there's no gunpowder.

Gorn and DLemos like this.
  15. Man! I got hornswoggled by another urban myth!:roflmao:

I'm not embarrassed seeing as it took a nuclear physicist/extraterrestrial interrogation expert to correct me.

DLemos and Munjibunga like this.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uhhh ... that's "dumb geologist" to you.

Immigrant and DLemos like this.
  17. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    So the lines are potassium nitrate, or the paper in general?

18. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    According to Wikipedia, the potassium nitrate theory checks out.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Wikipedia is always 100% true, too. :roflmao:

Immigrant and DLemos like this.
  20. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    They got a page devoted to "Pizza Farms", and ooh- carrots! I think it is time, gentlemen; we should give them a shot.