World Music... HELP!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've got a World Music class.... I'm going to get to hear a lot of World music... but I can't wait, plus I'll want more than they give me.

I'm especially interested in native African music... but I'm also wanting to get into native Indian music (not Native American... native Indian... though native American music is cool too.)

I'm not talking pop music, I mean World "tribal" music.

Any recommended CDs?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You should check out any of the following bands, I hear they are really cool and a bit out there. Certainly not standard pop:

- Tool

- Radiohead

- The Mars Volta

- System of a Down.

Hope it helps.
  3. yeah, tool does the tribal drum thing, while the lead singer goes from a whisper to a prolonged scream...its really cool

also, id check out ravi shenkar...he's a really good sitar player...i don't know if that really means anything, but he is part of the world, so i figure he plays world music
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    here is a list of names:

Fela Kuti
    Salif Keita
    Thione Diop
    King Sunny Ade
    Richard Bona
    Issa Bagayoyo
    Kaouding Cissoko
    Giya Marimba
    Baaba Maal
    Zap Mama

Ravi Shankar
    Rajeev Taranath
    Amjad Ali Khan
    Ali Akbar Khan
    Haripraasad Chaurasia
    Shiv Kumar Sharma
    Zakir hussein
    Krishna Bhatt

More or less... The world is a big place.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very nice, thank you sir
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Nigerian artists Fela Kuti and Prince Nico Mbarga.

Fela's son Femi also has some good stuff.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What people have listed so far is the western-influenced pop music of Africa....but then you won't get any recordings of real "native" music as it is an oral tradition and probably only preserved in a few places for tourists!! ;)
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well of course if you want to get into the real nitty gritty, you're not going to find it on a label. That said, Thione Diop plays straight up rhythms, the album I have of his is in no way afro-pop.

There are jumbles of compilations out there with varying degrees of authenticity. The problem being that there are many compilations of new-age pseudo-african music as well. But I have seen CDs of bare bones chanting and drumming, I do not have any names for you though. I personally don't have as much of a liking for some of the really authentic stuff, outside of what musical ideas I can gleam from it, I usually don't find it all that interesting to listen to. I feel that way about many bare bones musics though.
  9. Jonas Hellborg and SHawn Lane's Icon has some INTENSE indian music up there....really out there.

Consider the Soucre ( )is mad good fusion....very very cool, and their CD has an amazing bass solo.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm looking moreso for the "tourist attraction." Perhaps CDs of field recordings of real tribal music, basically African Folk music.
  11. My band supported them at the Meze lounge in Newport, South wales. They're pretty great. The bassist said his name was Darren something or other, I can't recall his surname, I was pretty out of it that night. The whole group were pretty much flawless. Utter Fela Kuti-style groove.
  12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    pick up one of the Trilok Gurtu cd's w/ Kai Eckhardt on bass - good stuff.

I've got a disc somewhere I could send you of some traditional Tahitian drumming - we recorded this trio at our house, it was very cool to watch.
  13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  14. That is a GREAT list! You have good taste in World music. :)
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002