Worst Bass Cab You Have Played Through?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Apr 21, 2024.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'll tell you mine. Bandleader's Chinese made Ampeg 4x10 that I played through tonight. Couldn't get a decent sound out of it running my Stingray into a Mesa Subway TT-800 head no matter what I did. Absolute rubbish.

Yours?

2. slipknotmaggot3

slipknotmaggot3

Feb 23, 2014
    Florida
    My first combo amp, an Ampeg BA-112. Couldn't get a good tone out of it and it just wanted to fart no matter how I tweaked the EQ.

3. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Orange 410. Some orange head on top of it with industrial symbols instead of normal words like "bass" or "gain".
    Ofal.

Khrist92 and butterfingers1 like this.
  4. 60bass

60bass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    North Carolina
    I'm sure many will disagree with this but the worst cab I've ever played through was the 810 Fridge. Beamed too much and never put out the low end I liked. I was just never able to connect with one. I Don't hate it but don't love it either. To me it's always been a highly overrated cabinet.

5. _One//Man//Mutiny_

_One//Man//Mutiny_ Gold Supporting Member

Hartke Hydrive 1x12, probably would have been better with a second one, it blew up before I bought the second one being run hilariously easy, only piece of equipment I straight up just threw out in the trash. It was when they first came out and the aluminum/paper cone was interesting. I believe they also had that impedance switch as well. Most vanilla sounding speaker I’ve ever played, I now know doubling up a 12 really gives it some definition and heft, but in hindsight I’m fairly sure it would have just became French Vanilla

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    60bass and Lance Bunyon like this.
  6. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    A late 90’s Fender 410. Couldn’t handle much power and was really ganky.

7. Brich

Brich

Nov 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Ashdown RM115's, flabby and farty. I expect this cab to pop up here, but honestly the ampeg 410hlf+HPF is still the best cab I've played through for the music I play

8. badinage

badinage Supporting Member

May 25, 2021
    Mid-1970s Fender 4-12 Pyramid baffle (or whatever they said it was) cab.

9. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile, ਵਿਦਿਆਰਥੀ Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    70s fender bassman. Thin and farty.

basted, red_rhino, oren and 5 others like this.
  10. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Sunn 200s 2x15.

Revv and shoot-r like this.
  11. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Aguilar GS112 - no mids.

12. The folded port 15" speaker cab that was part of the Acoustic combo amp I had in high school in the '80s, my first bass amp. I've never had anything close to that bad since.

Ks68jazz likes this.
  13. LiptonJigglers

LiptonJigglers

Oct 21, 2022
    Oh there's been a few.
    Orange OBC115
    Markbass 410, 210
    Markbass CMD 151P
    Ashdown 115, 210
    Ampeg 410
    Aguilar db410, db210
    GK neo ii 410
    Labsystems 210, 410
    Behringer (Bell ringer) 210, 410,
    Eden Nemisis 410, 115.
    Trace Elliot 410.

Honestly, I spent years searching for the right cab for me.
    Finally settled on Markbass CL152.
    Labsystems 115.
    Aguilar DB115.
    Still have the GK212 ii which everyone but me, loves... I keep it simply because it's light and does the job.

One cab I really miss is the GenzBenz 610t xb2.

Garret Graves, Ethix4 and Ggaa like this.
  14. Surprised you didn’t like the Nemesis cabs. I used a 410, 210, and 212 and had good results. Nice lightweight cabs. They don’t sound quite like a birch wood cab though.

(my drummer threw away my Nemesis 410 combo - I think his cat may have caused “liquid damage” to it. He never told me - just said he thought I didn’t want it??)

LiptonJigglers likes this.
  15. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

Some people may not like this but some Avatar 2X10 (blue drivers) with the horn tweeter are not so great. I am wondering if they even calculated the Thiele parameters. I've kept mine though and left it at one of the places I rehearse, specially when the drummer goes ape-poopie on the drums. However they are tough , even with a SWR 350 that's pushing some subsonic crap, Mine are 4 ohms and just won't die.

16. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

You might just be picky but that's okay, at least you know what you want. I've backlined some of the stuff above and they were all fine to me and the band.

Garret Graves and LiptonJigglers like this.
  17. Citizen Lyfe

Citizen Lyfe

Feb 6, 2009
    Croatia
    TE combo that looked like a voting box with a 12" speaker somewhere inside. I am still shocked it got made at all. Sounded very nasal, muddy and underwater, but for some reason many people (including rehearsal rental rooms, backline rental companies) in the town I lived in had it.

18. Pretty much any cab with a 12" speaker when played by itself. They have no punch and make my bass sound muddy like it has flats. I do like a 112 cab paired with my 210. Nice and punchy from the 10s and a bit more bottom from the 12.

19. Eden 212 xlt. It was weird. On its own it would sound great and loud but as soon as I played with drums or guitars it would just disappear completely. Didn't matter how loud I cranked and dimed the mids. I made a plug for one of the ports and that helped slightly but it was still a ghost.

shoot-r likes this.
  20. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

Sep 28, 2008
    Toulouse, France
    Ampeg SVT 8x10... in one word? BRRRWWWAAAAAaaaaaa.

I'm tired of seeing 8x10 SVTs on stage because most of the time they are smoked...
    Maybe in good condition it's a good cab but i don't know how it feels.

And as the best, maybe an Aguilar DB4x10 or i don't know... It depends so much on the style of music.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024