Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst drum fill ever...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by steveksux, May 15, 2005.

1. We were playing in Slidell, LA, the drummer (a drunk anyway) heard his mom was in the hospital. So he drank. Turns out his mom was retaining water, and her ankles swelled up. That's it. So we threw him in the cold shower, sobered him up in time to play.

He normally sucked anyway, but played horrible totally sober. After the first set, we told him "no hard feelings about this afternoon, just relax and have fun. Have a drink if you need one." yadda yadda. So he had a shot. ANd a beer, then a shotandabeerandashot....

2nd set, he's pretty well wasted again. REALLY can't play now. So we turn drums off in the pa, amps on stage way up and all move as far away from the drums as possible (so we can't hear the drums fumbling around). All that time playing with a metronome really paid off that day....

Finally, I hear this hopelessly munged up drum fill, sounds like drums falling down the stairs, no rhythm, no timing. Even for him (usually sucking) it was exceptionally bad.

I turn around to give him a dirty look..... and all I see are two hush puppies up in the air. He had fallen off his drum stool, and he couldn't get up. He was laying there wedged up against the wall. Great story now, but we were pretty PO'd at the time.

Guitar player finally beat him up on the way to the next gig. Normally not recommended, but have to admit it made us all feel a lot better.... :D That was back in my wild and foolish days....

Randy

2. Great story. Sounds like the kind of guy that was just looking for excuses to drink anyway. I'm surprised you didn't kick him out of the band right away after a gig like that.

3. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    Your drummer sounds like an ass...is he still in the band?

4. Ah drummers. Check this out:

A couple of years ago we are playing this gig, and we are in the middle of our last song (Sweet Dreams, Maryln Manson-ish) And its going quite well, and we approach this part where we have a drum fill, so the drum fill starts...and keeps going...and then when the drummer realises she's ****ed up, she stops playing, crosses her arms and leaves. ***?!?!?!?

Godddaamit, I'm no sexist, but when you need someone to be rational and collected at all times, DO NOT get a woman drummer.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    :rolleyes: :eyebrow: Do a TB search for drummers and you'll find loads of horror stories. Read a bit more closely and you'll find most of those were male drummers. I don't think you'll get a lot of evidence to back up your contention that women drummers are a particular problem; I've come across flakes of both genders and all colours, shapes and sizes across a range of instruments and I'm convinced that you're totally off-base!

Wulf

6. Hehe. Don't get me wrong, I was just making a joke. She's actually the best drummer I've ever played with, just had a little mood swing.

7. Homer: "its funny because its not me"

im glad im probably the least skilled person in my 4 bands, although i seem to do alright by all of them and havent gotten any complaints......yet

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've played with my share of horrible drummers, including quite a few drunks and ones with other substance related problems.

One of the funniest stories I remember happened with a drummer who had a serious drug problem. We were setting up for the gig and the drummer just vanishes during sound check. He was new to the band and we weren't fully aware of how bad his drug use was, so we didn't immediately say "Oh F*ck we are screwed". Instead we had a friend sit in for sound check, got his kit mic'd, and everything ready to go.

We were the first band on and he appeared just in time to take the stage. About halfway through the first song its obvious something si wrong. He was getting into the groove, playing some cool fills and then randomly stopping. I turn around to see what is wrong and he's just starring all around him.

Then sticks start flying, everywhere. Then he starts to scream, kicks his kick drum over and flees the stage mid song.

Turns out he'd dropped several tabs of acid during sound check. He later told me that everytime he hit one of his cymbals they would shatter into millions of multicolored bits and float around his kit. Which he though was great.

The stick throwing and fleeing in terror came about because he sad the sticks were "turning into evil wrath serpents" (his exact words) and trying to bite him.

Its funny now but I was ready to kill him at the time.

9. So did you kick him out immediately after that?

10. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Hahaha! LMFAO! That's classic!

11. That's funny, sad, and angering all at the same time.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I had a drummer who used to take a lot of acid. He played great, but would announce things into the mic between songs like, "I can feel the wind rushing through my head". We were indoors of course.

I had another drummer who smoked a lot of pot. We were trying to record a demo, he was very high. He ould not keep time, couldn't remember parts etc. He kept getting more and more frustrated, and as a result, smoking more and more pot. He finally fell off his stool into a temp. wall smashing into his tools. I packed up my amp and left for good.

13. sometimes i wish my drummer would take drugs to try and get happy, but this is freaking hilarious!!

14. A few years ago I was asked to join a band. The band was started by a fantastic keyboard player who purposely shopped around to find the best musicians he could to form a band. It ended up with a fantastic set of musicians with whom I was frankly honoured to play (if somewhat in awe and needed to put in my best efforts just to keep up).

Anyway, the drummer was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and he enjoyed some pot, quite frequently actually. However he was very serious about his drumming and would go to rehearsal two hours before to practice before band practice.

My admiration for him increase substantially when we went to the studio to record. The first three days of the recording session were to be dedicated soley to the recording of the drums and bass. He recorded some fantastic drumming. It was a pleasure just to see him record and in those three days he neither smoked nor drank a drop of alcohol. When we were finished he turns to the producer and asks him 'Am I done? Are there any over dubs which I need to do?' THe producer says no, the drummer smiles and proceeds to roll one of the biggest splifs I've ever seen. The story always puts a smile on my face.

15. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    LMFAO!. I wish i could have seen that :p

16. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Some of these are utterly fantastic, right up there with the 'miraculously exploding green globule drummers' gag from Spinal Tap :D

I played in a pick-up funk band a while ago, and the drummer was a really sharp guy, but he was utterly beseiged with doing speed (what is it with these guys?). He had a load of show-boating stick tricks he had perfected, one of which was throwing his sticks across his toms during a roll and having them flip back into his hands in time for the next hit. One evening he'd misjudged the time we were set to play, thinking it was an hour later than it actually was and got fairly hyped on some very potent amphetamines. So, he gets to the gig buzzing, thinking that he had a bit of time to settle down before the show - oh, no, we're just finishing setting up as he enters the venue and we're on in ten minutes.

We blast off, and he's rushing like a mad-man. Eventually, he gets himself somewhat together and we hit the middle of the set, in the midst of which is a six bar drum 'solo' where he likes to chuck in all of his fancy stick tricks. He kicks into his spotlight moment, and begins doing the 'flip my sticks off my toms in a dazzling roll' moment... only to miss catching one of the sticks as it bounces back at him. The tip hits him right in the left eye, and there is a sudden deafening silence punctuated by a muffled, "Ah, ****!" :D

17. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    hahah thats great :D I wish I saw that. What is it with these drummers and their drugs though? lol. The drummer in my band is a bit of a pot head too :( Thankfully he has died down now hehe

18. Well, at least he could control it. Can't say that for most drug users.

19. Not that easy. We were playing in Louisiana, but from Detroit, so we did give him a ride home. After the guitar player beat him up, that is. Bitch was we had to drive from Slidell, LA to Detroit (get new drummer), to New Iberia, LA instead of straight from Slidell to New Iberia.

But it was worth it. Somehow, all the frustration we felt over him (he'd been a pain in the ass way before that night too) seemed to melt away when we'd look at his pink puffy swollen face. Some of us couldn't help but start giggling as a matter of fact.... Hate to sacrifice one guy for the good of the band, but he deserved it and it was great for morale. Clearly someone, somewhere, would have just had to beat him up sooner or later, might as well have been one of us.

Randy