Would a 8x6 cab be crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MuzikMan, Mar 21, 2005.

1. I've been tossing "alternate" cab ideas around in my head and I was thinking of trying an 8x6 with home audio woofers. It seems that these types of drivers go low but are not loud. It also seems like 8 of them would give me the db's of an average 2x10 cab.

I'm just wondering if it would be a nice tight sound or a phase shifted, comb filtered pile of crap.

Any thoughts
  2. I'm kinda leaning toward the "comb filtered pile of crap" side myself.
  3. With the home audio drivers I'd lean toward the "comb filtered pile of crap" too. I can't see the 6's really projecting any kind of lows in a normal sealed or ported cab.
  4. 1...Practice laying flat on your back on the floor (a wood floor preferably).
    2...set said cabinate above head position (use tape measure as needed).
    3...Set said volume to 10 and enjoy...[​IMG]
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ampeg made one for a little while... the cones were made of rubber I believe. Not many were produced, however.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's something i'd love to see just for curiosities sake. i would probably see if eminence made a six that would do an acceptable job with lows given the correct cabinet size. if it worked, that and a tiny head would be the ultimate cool parody of the ampeg svt. :p
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The former bass player of a local band in CT used to play through a 8x8 cabinet. That thing could tear a club off its foundation.
  8. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    SWR still produces their 8x8. Henry the 8x8

I would be quite interested in trying one of those.
  9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It might be feasible to get a decent sound; however, it would take a lot of knowledge and research to do it right. Building "good" speaker cabinets is not a simple matter.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have a Henry 8x8. Great cab, good lows and highs. My only issue with it is that I don't feel secure pushing the speakers too much.
  11. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    I would be afraid to push them aswell. Smaller doesn't necessarily mean more fragile, but you still have that mentality that it does.

I would be terrified of pushing a PJ cab. :eek:
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've actually popped a speaker, but SWR replaced it quick. I now run the cab with a 215 and havn't had a problem since.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, Henry's speakers move like crazy. Very cool cab though.
  14. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    I would totally go for one if I could find it at a decent price. They retail for a huge 1 grand on musicians friend, not a very friendly price.
  15. You could probably get Low Down Sound to make you something, like a 4x6 and 4x8 in one cab would be pretty cool I bet. LDS uses 2 6's for mids and highs in their 2x15 cab.
  16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I got mine local for $450 used.
  17. 8 x 6

Turn the amp way up and blow the cones smooth out of them
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  19. Good home woofers are not cheap, and with eight magnet assemblies, they are not going to be light either. Also, many have foam surrounds, which degrade with age.
    Unless you can collect eight s/h HiFi speakers and have confidence that they are not worn out, this project could cost you a lot, just to find out.
  20. Because I have an imagination and I like to dream. It's so boring being intelligent and practical all the time! :spit: