1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would like to pay it forward

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SteveC, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have been on the receiving end of some online generosity and I would like to do the same.

I have a used but decent parts bass fretless P bass. It has a everything except a tone knob/pot. I have an unlined Mighty Mite (I think) neck on it with tuners. It plays. It needs a little work but could probably be a nice bass for someone. I don’t have a use for it so I’d like to put it in the hands of someone who could use it but maybe can’t afford something right now.

I’d like to send it off to someone who could get it fixed up or do it themselves and put it to use. I would probably take the neck off to save on shipping costs. I think I have some miscellaneous parts in a box as well that may be used for this or some other “Fender 4 string” type bass.

If you know of a situation where this would be an appropriate solution, please contact me.

J_Bass, Duder, mapleglo and 8 others like this.
  2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    That's what I call a very generous gesture.....

Hope it goes to a deserving home....:thumbsup:

Aberdumbie and MrLenny1 like this.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Me, too.

Fat Freddy likes this.
  4. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Way to go Steve...

MrLenny1 likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would try speaking with the band director in your local schools. With budgets being cut, they might know of a deserving set of hands (or perhaps their own). The fact that it is an unlined fretless means it is likely to go to someone playing jazz.

Deak, BluesOnBass, rllefebv and 2 others like this.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I actually teach in school here. Our jazz band kids use NS EUB’s so they’re pretty set.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you have a good program. Are there poorer/worse off schools in the district? Just trying to spitball.

8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    We’re doing pretty well.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I’d still like to donate this close to done project bass to someone deserving....

10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Still no takers?.....Amazing....

11. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    An excellent idea. I encourage Steve.

I suggest the OP contact a few music teachers since they usually know one or two folks that could really use a gift like yours. Don't let the lack of an immediate candidate get you down; finding the right person is worth the effort.

12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The bass does need a little work. A tone pot/knob, a few pick guard screws, maybe a little set up, but I think it could be a decent bass for someone. Is there someone on TB who would like to finish it up (I don't have time or ability really) and move it along somewhere else?

I have been on the receiving end of good will lately (and I don't really deserve it as I am capable of buying what I need) so I'd really like to pass some things on to help me feel better.

drummer5359 likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If someone is hesitating on this because the last few steps to get this bass playable seems daunting, I would be glad to play middle man. In other words, if you get a taker who doesn't know how to finish up the bass let me know. You can send it to me and I'll finish it and ship it to them (along with any extra parts you send).

It's your act of kindness so I would rather you pick who gets it.

This is nkt a joke. And it's a up to you who gets it. I'll just do the middle step and finish it off and send it to them assembled and ready to go. (Preferably continental US.) And I'm sure I have a gig bag laying around I can send it out in.

I can help or I can butt out.... either way. :D

I just hate to see a soldering iron come between a good guy and a person who could use a break. So I'm in if you need me. :thumbsup:

kobass, J_Bass, braindead0 and 9 others like this.
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thanks.

15. JohnPaulSmith

JohnPaulSmith Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2014
    This might be the coolest thread ever.

16. Someone’s getting a free fretless, whether they want it or not...

twinjet and two fingers like this.
  17. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Way to go! So nice to see something like this in the crazy world we live in.

18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thanks, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before. I received the neck as a donation from somewhere, the body and a bag of parts came from someone on TB. I just don't have a need/use for this bass and as I haven't paid for any of it, I'd just like it to go somewhere and get used. I've received a couple pedals from TB'ers for nothing as they thought I could use them while they were cleaning out drawers so I'd like to do the same.

J_Bass and The Chuck like this.
  19. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    It would be cool if this bass went on a pilgrimage and picked up parts, upgrades and tech work along the way.

A very nice gesture, OP.

Joedog likes this.
  20. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    One of our local music stores (Blues Angel Music) has started a non-profit foundation to help the music programs in the schools. I've donated a bit of cash/equipment. They are stand up people. There are some real pockets of poverty here, especially in the minority communities. But surely there must be some needy schools SOMEWHERE in your part of the world? Nice gesture OP!

SteveC likes this.