1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this be a fair trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HigherGround93, Mar 16, 2010.

1. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    I'm thinking of trading my Peavey Cirrus USA Walnut 4 String Bass w/OHSC and Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks for a Fender Bassman Blackface Amp. I'm not sure what the value on the Bassman is but is it a fair trade? My Peavey is in excellent condition and the Bassman is what you would expect from a vintage amp, it comes with a cab also.

2. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    the bassman works as a very nice warm tube bass amp at low volumes, its better suited
    turned up to 10's acrossed the board for a guitar, nice sweet thick distortion..

It really cant keep up with many tiny guitar combos volume wise without breaking up.

but again at low volumes they sound great, nice old skool tube tones.

(stupid me traded an acoustic stack consisting of a 270 & 450 with a 2x12 and 2x15", that was stupid loud for a 64 blackface bassman.)

3. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    Would it be a fair trade for a Peavey Cirrus USA Walnut 4 String or should I ask for some cash on his end?

4. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    idk, it depends on how bad you want the amp, for its giganto size its not really a powerhouse.

5. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    Not really looking for a powerhouse, would it be enough to play at a small venue without distorting?

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Bassman = cool tone, will go up in value
    Cirrus = cool bass, will go down in value

Just depends on your needs. I'm assuming the Bassman isn't just the head and indeed includes the cabinet. Any changes or mods to it ?

I gigged a Bassman for quite a while with an alt country/roots rock band and the volume was fine, but probably wouldn't have been enough for a louder rock band.

7. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I would keep the bass.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'd say it wasnt really a fair trade for you. You should be able to get enough for your Peavey Cirrus to afford a more powerful and still good sounding from low to higher volume, amp. Something new like the Peavey Tour 450 bass amp and a new or used Peavey cab. I dunno the value of the fender amp your looking at. But I dont think itd be good choice as an amp for main sound in a band situation. Mentioning Peavey rig example cause I still think theyre among the most reliable and very good qaulity, lower price bass gear out there.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    On the street both items are pretty close in value - the Bassman would probably fetch a little more.

If you're planning on using the Bassman for guitar, it's a great trade. If you're hoping for a gigging bass head you might be a bit dissapointed as others pointed out.

The Peavy is the kind of bass that can't be replaced for what you could get for it... if that makes sense. You could sell it, but the money you'd get (in cash or trade) wouldn't be enough to replace it with a bass of similar quality. They're really good instruments.

All that said, the Bassman's probably a more valuable commodity when all's said and done.

10. I sometimes gig a Bassman 50 with a single 15 cabinet and it does well at low-volume gigs. The Peavey bass for the amp and cabinet is probably a reasonable deal, assuming all the gear is in good condition.

11. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I think they are close in value, but I personally would not do it.

Fender bassman amps are a great guitar amp but bass guitar amp not so much IMHO

12. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    Alright thank you guys!

13. Keep the Cirrus, the Fender really isn't gig worthy regardless of condition.

14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I've done about 100 +/- gigs with a Bassman, so I wouldn't be so fast to say it "isn't gig worthy". It depends on the band you play with, the style of music, and how loud they play naturally.

15. -fair enough Dark Horse{I should have prefaced it with volume requirements of the gig}

16. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    id do it..

17. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000

You gig a 50watt bassman 50 2x15"?

very low volume and or NO drums right?

18. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida

19. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I used to. Yes there were drums. The musicians have good control of their stage volume and dynamics. It was plenty loud.

In fact, one of the rigs that I gig currently is even lower wattage than that - it's about 30 watts and is plenty loud to keep up with a singer/acoustic guitarist electric guitarist, and drummer.

20. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The Cirrus, having been purchased, has already gone down in value about as far as it's going to go.

Whether the Bassman will in fact go up in value is debatable.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020